8k is coming...8K is coming!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Jan 12, 2020.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

I only just got an HD PJ, no way I'm ready to go 8K :blush:

3. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

That's about 6K more than I'll ever need!

4. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Yeah, we got rid of cable, rarely used streaming services, although we do subscribe. Our T.V. are 1080p both 65" one LCD and one plasma. We are way over television at this point. Cool tech though.

5. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I'm waiting for the TVs to come out with the 4K tuners built in (probably a few months). Just ordered new power recliners for the main system and going to put the power recliners I have now (where the new TV will go) in a spare system (have to take apart the AV furniture and system in that spare room and paint - but I have 8 weeks until the new furniture will be coming anyway. Don't really need 8k. That's not to say that I won't get one if it has a 4k tuner built in. I'll probably want a 65 inch (have a 55 inch UHD set now) set that will work with the AV furniture I have now and need one with a stand (don't want a wall mount - have had a few TVs in the past and much easier to get to stuff without it and also where I'll have the new TV, I'll only be about 7 feet away) that is in the middle of the screen (vs. towards the outside). So the 4k tuner and stand type will dictate what will fit my needs.

I do plan on looking at 4k projectors in a year, give or take. Going to have the main room painted (not by me - too big, connects to the foyer, hallway, dining kitchen, stairway and upstairs bonus room, which is huge) after CEDIA in September and will be looking at ultra short throw projectors and an ALR screen (and move my current main system projector in the bedroom).

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Yeah I don’t even have a 4K display.

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I don't feel the need to upgrade until I'm ready for my projector to go 4k HDR and I kinda want "real" 4k and its kinda still out of my budget. When a true 4k non-DLP gets down to around $3,000 call me.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Does 8K even offer any visible improvement on 80" or smaller displays? The human eye has a resolution limit and I suspect that you won't be able to see an improvement unless you have a very large display, say 100" or more.

9. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Probably not for most from what I've seen - e.g. - Re: Affects mainly to the watching distance and screen size: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I bought my 4k when prices were higher and I sit about 7 feet away from the 55 inch screen and I'm probably at the far side of benefits. Probably for weight and the stand design, I'll need for my next set (when 4k tuners are built in) I'm likely to be limited to a 65 inch set.

I'll probably wait another year to see what happens with 4k ultra short throw projectors for the main system.

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

There was an article I came across a while ago that had an opthamologist stating how many lines a typical human eye with perfect vision could distinguish within one degree of their field of view. Here's the post I made about it.

Interesting Resolution Math

My conclusion was with our typical viewing distance to size ratio, 1080 wasn't at the limit but 4k passes it.

11. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

TV marketers have muddled the 4K, 8K resolutions IMO. 4k in reality is 2K progressive. 8k = 4K progressive. Interlaced and progressive scans were big discussion items when digital TVs were new. My 2003(?) Sharp TV up-scales all signals to 1080p.

12. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Very interesting video regarding Oled displays.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

13. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Visible improvement? Who cares? 8K has EIGHT K'S! That twice as many K's as 4K. Of course it's better. Duh. Go out and buy one!
    - said by every display panel manufacturer as they desperately try to stay in business

John Celardo and Barry_NJ like this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

The upcoming summer olympics in Tokyo will be broadcast in 8k in Japan btw.

15. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

This is a problem with our consumer driven economy. If things don't get continually consumed/replaced, businesses falter. I'm very much a "if it's broke, fix it" type of guy, Something must be beyond repair, or multiple stages beyond its tech spec, before I'm willing to go spend on a new one. Our main living room TV, a Sharp Aquos LC-60E77U, is going on 11 years now with no signs of slowing down or leaving me disappointed with its image. On average my projectors last me about 8 years. I pretty much by a new one when the replacement bulb is too high a percentage of buying a new one, and also the technology has improved to the point of, yeah it's now worth it. But every couple of yeas because the "New" models are out. No way. My Oppo BDP-83 was finally replaced after 10 years when it started having drawer issues for the second time. First time was a good number of years ago and fixed under warranty. Also figured it was time for 4K and 3D, even though little of my collection has those features.

DYohn likes this.