A premature Anthem ahem ...

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Mikael Soderholm, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

So,
    I have been very happy with my Primare SPA-21 processor/amp for the past 10+ years, but the lack of HDMI switching gets more and more bothersome, and lately it has been showing signs of age, slow to start, some channels not firing, and I decided it's time to retire it and get something new.
    I use my amp for music/movies about 60/40, so really good sound reproduction is a must, while Spotify connectivity, multiroom, lots of soundfields and other digital bells and whistles are less important.
    So after some investigations I chose an Anthem MRX520, which I ordered today (about a week delivery time).
    Looking forward to the room correction, the HDMI connectivity and the ability to use a laptop, maybe an Apple TV/Chromecast and have it switched to my projector as well as handling the sound, and the stability of a newer device.
    Unfortunately, no low level input, so no more anaog multichannel from my Oppo 95, but maybe that will not be an issue. I can still do 2ch analog, but might choose not to (if I want my sub to play, it still has to be digitized in the Anthem to be bass managed, possibly losing the superior SQ of the Oppo DAC).

Will let you know more once it arrives in da house, and I have managed to tame it ;)

The waiting is the hardest time ...

Jay Brown and DYohn like this.
  2. Mikael Soderholm

Ah, title typo, can I fix it myself somehow, or must I ask CJ?

edit: found it :blush:

3. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

As a happy Anthem owner I say CONGRATS!

By the way the DAC in my AVM60 is superior sounding to the one in my Oppo 103.

4. Mikael Soderholm

Thanks for that input, sounds good. Can't wait ...

5. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Congrats Mikael. We'll look guard to your impressions. I too choose to use my (Marantz) AVR for 2 ch so I can also include bass management with dual subs. It's the same DAC as my Oppo 203, but not quite as good as what you'll be using with your Anthem.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Woohoo

8. Mikael Soderholm

So,
    picked it up Saturday, but finalized the old Primare with a mono movie, since 2ch still worked. The Third Man, for the first time, totally magnificient, as expected.

Anyway, next day, I unpacked all the things, unconnected the old stuff, did some cleanng behind the shelves, connected the new stuff, set up the mic, computer and all that, and of course it failed (USB mic compatibility issues), and I tried, and tried again, and finally it worked, and I configured it all to an initial liking (will check later what to tweak ;))
    It sounds grand!
    Totally magnificient. WOW! I though my old amp was great, and it was, but things have apparently changed in the past 20 years ...
    This is almost like the first time I heard surround, it sounds that great, and music does as well.
    I bow to the magic of Anthem, although I have been mistrusty of digital magic, but it works like, well, magic :)

Denton and DYohn like this.
  9. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Nice, enjoy it!