Ahem - more to come

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by CJ, Jun 11, 2019 at 8:44 AM.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I’ll just leave this here for now.

C0B8A288-89C2-4FA5-AF59-3445ADE0D317.jpeg

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

That looks nice...

3. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Ooohhh... Aaahhh...

4. RJ

RJ Member

You’ve been busy!

Looks great! Looking forward to reading more about it

5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I bet that has serious impact!

6. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

What happened to the previous speakers? eBay, trade in or ______?

Whatcha doing for surround speakers?

Looking good dude.

Anxious to
    Hear of your impressions

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

And one more question to add to Carl's, what prompted putting all the subs up front?

8. CJ

Great questions all. Sincere gratitude for showing interest.

Thank you. I really like the aesthetic. And as you and I exchanged over PM, my wife likes them better than the Tritons, which is what really matters. I think this is partly due to the fact that these are about a foot shorter an I also don't have them quite as far out into the room yet but on the flip side she made that comment with the grills off where the Tritons were, by their nature, covered up.

:flushed:

Well, here it comes.

That was the goal

CC sold locally, the rest is listed on Audiogon but it may take a while to sell. Buying higher end and especially large, heavy speakers 2nd hand takes a bit of finding the right buyer. See below to answer your other queries.

See below...

Here's the full gear list now.
    • Klipsch RP-8000F L/R
    • Klipsch RP-504C Center
    • Klipsch RP-502S Surround (side and rear)
    • SVS SB-2000 x 4
    • Anthem AVM 60 Pre/Pro
    • Sunfire Theater Grand TGA-7401 400x7 Amp
    • Apple TV 4K (I've digitized my entire disk collection and added on digital purchase since)
    • Sharp LC-70LE847U 70" TV
    • Epson Home Cinema 5030UB projector
    • 100" Visual Apex motorized screen
    • GIK corner bass traps and first reflection broadband traps
    • Lots of Hawkeye and Disney decor (more out of frame)
    What prompted this in general? Well there's a long version and a short version. Some of you may remember when I got the Tritons I had a devil of a time calibrating the home theater. The LFE input on the Tritons was (IMO) mismatched to the gain required to set the bass flat for speaker level input. The hair pulling there is what ultimately led to the subwoofer purchases and not using the Triton powered section for LFE (I still ran them full range with speaker level input). But the experience left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and I felt that Tritons were bit overkill in a heavy bias home theater room when I was already running subs so I started poking around and other options. With me, that usually results in an eventuality, its just a matter of time type scenario. :relaxed:

So I started looking at SVS Ultra, Focal Aria, Monitor Audio Silver, Revel Concerta2, and RSL. This goes back several months and you may recall my posting about a few of those brands here simply because my research turned up some interesting things that i thought others might find interesting. This list ultimately came about after realizing how many brands of speakers were not feasible in my current room setup due to not offering a surround that would work with my setup. You may recall a recent thread relevant to that as well.

Brands started falling off the list for a variety of reasons. Some of which may not have ultimately been valid but I had no way to verify without purchasing and returning speakers. But while I was doing all this research, something kept popping up in web sites, traditional print reviews, and youtube videos which was the new Klipsch RP series. That prompted this thread Don't look now but Klipsch has been getting some love and what I was observing, specific to the RP-600M bookshelf. Steve Guttenberg raved about them, CNET named them speaker of the year, Herb Reichert of Stereophile liked them, Zero Fidelity liked them, and a host of youtubers from long time Klipsch fans to historical haters were saying anything from begrudging praise to effusive compliments depending on their particular preferences or prior disdain. Guttenberg ended up hooking them up to his $40k front end for a while he liked them so much. Other reviewers described that inability to turn them off... one more track, one more track. But, critically, another common theme was emerging which is that multiple sources were citing that this line of Klipsch had managed to reduce or remove nearly all of the the archetypal negatives that the previous versions of this same line suffered from poor driver integration to shoutiness, brightness and/or horn resonance and had managed to do so without losing what historically made these speakers fun.

So Klipsch now got added to the short list. Fortunately, I could hear them locally, unfortunately the demo environment was atrocious. Nebraska Furniture Mart carries Klipsch, Revel, Martin Logan Motion and a few other decent brands. They carry SVS subs but not the speakers unfortunately. The demo room is not better than a Best Buy. Speakers are lined up firing squad style pushed against the wall, everything run through a touch screen controlled 100 device switch and with TONS of background noise as shoppers choose from 200 TVs (not exaggerating I don't think) right outside the doorless room.

I listened to the Revel Concerta2 line. They had one model of the Performa3 line but I didn't think I was going to go that far up the price scale for this venture. They were hooked up to a nice $4000 Anthem 2ch integrated with a BlueSound Node streaming high rez tidal. They sounded pretty good but didn't make me ooh and ah. I also thought the bass was a little overdone but that could have been placement related. I was also worried about the small size and limited frequency response of the Concerta2 line's sole center channel option. The Klipsch were on the opposite side of the room and were hooked up to a bank of AVRs, the best of which was whatever the most expensive Onkyo was. The only sources were a blu-ray player for demoing movies and the option of streaming music over BlueTooth from the sales person's personal phone... so yeah, apples to apples :smirk:

Despite the clear discrepancy in setups and the overall disadvantage of a terrible demo environment I liked what I heard. For the record, I also really dig the look of Klipsch speakers in general from their mass market copper cone stuff like this to their heritage lines which are super retro cool, have gorgeous veneers and stain options etc. So I have a speaker I like the sound of, like the looks of, can purchase locally at a discount, has a full range of HT oriented center and surround options that meet my specific installation needs too. Pulling the trigger seemed like a no brainer. While it would be a bit of a PITA I could return them if they weren't good in my room.

...up next, listening impressions.

RJ and Carl V like this.
  9. Carl V

Here's to veils being lifted.:sunglasses:

And a 30 Return...woohoo.:laughing:

You've had IB subs, SVS, Power Sound, Klipsch:blush:

12" to 15".

are you running a mini-dsp?

have fun...

Between you and Claud,
    we are all vicariously:yum: living large thru your adventures

10. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Looks uncluttered. The copper colored cones makes them look hi-tech. Looking forward to listening reviews, movies and music too.

11. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

CJ The room looks great. I would like to hear your impressions of the subs up front stacked vs your previous dispersed and near field setup.

Denton likes this.
  12. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

13. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Well-Known Member

Very pretty. How are you hooking up the subs?

14. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I expect for movies that to be exceptional, especially in terms of value. For music I'd love to hear it and try and get over my fear of horns.

15. Carl V

uh...wire. Big gauge...(small number).. Cuz, low freq. Electrons like fat wire. jk :laughing:

I imagine cj would prefer to have it crossed as an LFE @ 80Hz and use his nice ANTHEM
    to adjust levels and phase. But, we'll wait for him to tell us about his set-up

Ken McDaniel likes this.
  16. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

That is very attractive, CJ. You have got to be kidding about a good sounding mass market Klipsch speaker. DAMN---JUST DAMN!! Who would have thunk??????

17. CJ

Yeah, my room has always been a bit problematic for bass but I actually think I mostly have it solved with the current setup. I wouldn't mind more headroom but I'd be surprised if I'm actually pushing the subs that hard. My room has evolved though too. When I first moved in my theater was projector only with all of the gear in a remote closet and the back was open so it was like a 19' x 40' space. Now I've got more like 19x17 but I have all the gear in the room to work around.

I'm not running mini-DSP because I find the Anthem to be more than adequate at dealing with the bass. I just re-skimmed this article and this is actually exactly how I set up my subs, ARC is completely capable of replicating this procedure. Tuning multiple subs

Yeah, the new TV stand made a big difference in cleaning up the room. Listening impressions are coming soon. The speakers have less than a dozen hours (mixed music and movies).

I'm going to go back to my previous setup to be honest. I think I could EQ the subs just as well in the stacked format and probably get more max output but my initial reaction was that there was less slam. I attribute this to the fact that in the 4 separate locations setup two of the subs are pretty close to nearfield so I think that's the better setup.

18. CJ

My Anthem has two outputs. I have two splitters from Blue Jeans and all the subs are wired up with Blue Jeans subwoofer cables.

As I mentioned in the giant wall of text, these are widely reported to be the least horny mass market Klipsch ever. One reviewer claimed if you put them behind an acoustically transparent skrim they wouldn't be able to tell you they were horns. They're pretty widely available. I'd be surprised if you weren't able to find a pair to listen to.

Yeah, as I mentioned all four are just wired into the Anthem's LFE outputs. I have multiple profiles I can save and assign by input so I'm playing with everything at 80Hz for movies and trying a 40Hz one for music.

Well, I owned Klipsch before but they weren't as good as these nor as handsome IMO. Despite the rave reviews I suspect they will maintain a love it or hate it reputation.

Early preview of listening impressions are that detail, texture and sense of holography, and dynamics are SICK. There is something going on beyond just speaker sensitivity with the dynamics. I suspect more than ever that there was simply a mismatch between the Tritons and my room which is truly a shame. These speakers cost 1/5 as much and are trouncing them in all but a few factors.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  19. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Looks great. Nice clean setup. No visible wires. My sister would love that.

20. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Klipsch = love it or hate it reaction, even by those who have never heard them.

I dislike some Klipsch systems I have heard, and I have loved others. YMMV and try it you might like it. :)