Ahem (New Camera) + pictures of Berlin, Dresden, Prague, and Munich

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Chris Smith, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I mentioned a while ago that I was thinking of going mirrorless. There were a few different options if I wanted to do that, I could go with the M 4/3 like CJ uses, go with the Sony line which is recommended by a lot of people, or do what I did and probably get not quite as good of a camera, but able to use my existing Canon glass, and get the Canon M5.

I'm coming from a 70D which is so heavy when I put the 17-55 lens on it that I would get shoulder cramps carrying the thing if we walked around a lot. We do these trips to Germany, since my wife is a German teacher, where we take HS students over there and we walk between 17k and 26k steps every day while we're over there. The 70D is so heavy that I stopped wanting to take it places and I wasn't going to take it on this trip.

The M5 with the kit 14-45 lens is so small and light in comparison, yet still feels like a camera. I didn't have to relearn the interface, it's essentially the same as the 70D (except for a few new features.) And with a cheap adapter, all my existing glass will work with it.

So I took it on our trip to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, and Munich and it was a dream to carry around. Didn't hurt my neck or shoulder carrying it around, and I was really happy with the pictures I got.

Here's a small album of some of the shots I took:
    Berlin/Dresden/Prague/Munich 2019

Jay Brown and DYohn like this.
  2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Great shots! A camera is on my wishlist for sometime later this year as well.

3. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Damn GREAT pics!!!!!

Denton likes this.
  4. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

5. Chris Smith

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Very nice! :smiley:

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I think you mean danke.

Chris Smith likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Great photos.

How do you like the M5? I think if Canon offered a similar body with a true articulating screen instead of just the flipper I might jump on board to be honest.

9. Chris Smith

Overall I like it a lot. I didn't really miss anything from my 70D (and the internal sensor and processing are essentially an 80d) and the size was perfect. Any smaller and it wouldn't fit in my giant hands, but I loved the weight savings. The battery life is terrible, make sure you carry spares. On some of our larger walk-around days I could not get a full day out of a single battery and that was with making sure I turned it off as much as possible.

The screen is stupid, but I don't use the screen that much for shooting, anyway, so it didn't matter much to me. The only time I ever use it is to flip down if I'm trying to hold it up above my head to get a shot over a crowd or something, and that worked fine. I initially thought I could get away without a view finder, but I tried a few at Best Buy and HATED not having the EVF and/or Optical VF. So the M6 and M100 were out. I know they make a separate EVF for the M6 but that seemed stupid, why not just get one with it built in?

I bought it used and I think I can get 75% of what I paid for it out of my 70D which I don't really need to keep anymore. I can't see myself using it when I have the M5 as an option.

CJ likes this.