Ahem - Wireless Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by jasn, May 19, 2018.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I haven't posted any recent purchases in quite awhile...

We moved into a new home last year that has a wide open living/dining/kitchen setup. It was not, unfortunately, built with speakers in mind. I've been scouting the interwebs for a wireless speaker and finally settled on a pair of Libratone ZIPP Wireless + Bluetooth Speakers.
    BzutYj5.jpg
    qFIdP7B.jpg
    3neIh3Q.jpg
    gWQ7FP8.jpg
    I am very pleased with this purchase, as these speakers will do a lot for me.
    They sound great. 100W per speaker; 2-way, up-firing, 360 dispersion design with dual passive radiators. They are a true wifi design, not just Bluetooth. Airplay capable (a must for my library). The app manages Spotify, Tidal or any web radio station. They can be programmed for L/R stereo. Plus...which was another big need, is they are 8-hr battery powered so I can take one or both outside for deck tunes.

I'd been eying these for several months, waiting to see if the market brought out any new wireless devices but none came along. I'm not a Sonos fan. When I've heard them at friends I wasn't gaga, and I did not want to manage another music program. Amazon put the ZIPP on sale at 33% off I grabbed them.

With these on the center shelf I can fill the room very nicely. They crank pretty well too! :)

claud likes this.
  2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Nice purchase! Do they link together nicely like Sonos? I assume so but am not too familiar.

3. jasn

Thx CJ. Yes, two can link together as a stereo pair and also sync to a total of six speakers throughout the house.

BTW, the live link to Amazon above is through the lounj ;)

4. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

360 dispersion - just right for open plan design house. I see straps are they for carrying or hanging?

5. jasn

Either way pelletier, they weigh 4-5 lbs so can be carried or hung.

6. jasn

7. pillatier

Wireless speakers are a bit of a misnomer I think. They still have to be kept plugged in or plugged to recharge.

Brandth likes this.
  8. jasn

Mostly true p, but these are also battery powered for up to 8 hours. Grab and go..

9. pillatier

Exactly, grab and go for the deck or outside but sooner or later they need that umbilical cord.

10. jasn

You win. Wait for the solar-powered one.

11. CJ

I mean, my wireless router needs power, as does my wireless phone, as does my wireless laptop. Nothing that uses wireless is wireless because if it uses wireless, it uses power. I guess my coffee mug is truly wireless. Suck it @DYohn

DYohn and jasn like this.
  12. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

In 2006 I was hired as a consultant by my old buddies at THX to work on a specification for, wait for it, wireless IP communication for home theater speakers. :) I've been sucking it for a while.

13. CJ

It was a joke about your magic mug :D

DYohn likes this.
  14. DYohn

And.. it is wireless! Get one CJ, you know you want to.

15. DYohn

16. jasn

So, as if I had much choice given the way Libratone manages these speakers through their app, I upgraded the new firmware to allow Airplay 2 last week, only to have trouble linking to them as a stereo pair as before. After many tries and contacting their Customer Support, I was informed that the Zipp 1 models are no longer capable of both Airplay and their proprietary SoundScape (stereo) feature. The newer Zipp2 models can though. WTF...I am pissed! I can still run stereo in Spotify, which I don't use, or Bluetooth, which is a PITA, no less not as hifi.

Thinking of selling these on eBay...a shame because it fits my listening space perfectly.

17. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

So your speakers have been updated to less functionality..... damn, bad luck there.

jasn likes this.
  18. CJ

Sonos actually did this recently too. They implemented some new feature I don't care about like AirPlay 2 or Alexa and now it means you can't control volume or skip a track from the lock screen of your phone. What used to be trivially easy to pause or mute to hear someone in another room asking a question now takes 10 seconds of clicking. Absolutely infuriating.

jasn likes this.
  19. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Yeap these things piss me off. I guess it is the world we live in now, at least with electronics anyway.

jasn likes this.
  20. jasn

Thanks for the support on this. I've been trying to use the Bluetooth connection and not at all happy with the functionality.

I've also written Libratone CS again. They have been responsive and I have little expectations, but will keep this up for awhile just to be a pest.