All The President's Men

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 7, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I watched this with my sister over the weekend and was disappointed. I can't exactly put my finger on why. I know this is a classic, it just missed for me. I guess maybe the risk of not getting the story right or supported by facts maybe doesn't resonate in 2019 and killed some of the drama? I watched Network for the first time recently and LOVED it. It felt more relevant today than ever. ATPM was a bit of a disappointment and I'm a little bummed I didn't like it more.

2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

1)I think it's hard (for some) to react to a White House with an enemies list and a group of thugs paid from a safe stuffed with cash. Somehow it seems almost normal compared to our current situation.

2)Mebbe you'll prefer the remake starring the Rock and Bruce Willis. :wink:

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I tried to avoid overtly political comparison given I closed The War Zone but I do honestly wonder if I'd have had a different reaction 3 years ago. They were so concerned about the veracity of the claims and their reputation. That seems quaint today.

Denton and DYohn like this.
  4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

All The President's Men feels nostalgic and quaint in the light of the current administration.

Denton likes this.
  5. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Exactly. I can recall doubting the validity of the charges against Nixon. Not now.

DYohn likes this.
  6. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Hmmm, I musta been way too jaded and cynical back then. I spent that summer ‘73
    Bicycling from San Jose back to my home town-Butte Montana, Watching the evening news wrap up of that mess. That was the rise & peak of the 4th estate; And the beginning of the sensationalism of the vaunted 4th estate. The public trust has never been the same since. Imho

7. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Hate to admit it now, but I voted for Nixon. Shortly after I realized what he was. Woodward and Bernstein were national treasures, and the movie portrayed that well. I've seen the film many times, and every time I'm grateful for those guys and the Post. This is about the movie, not politics. In my most humble opinion, it still hold up as a great film.

8. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Man, I loved this flick. I get the "quaint" comment but I think of W&B as "principled". And that to me is just as relevant as ever.