Anybody install a backup camera?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by JeffC, Mar 26, 2019.

1. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I fixed up a loaded 2005 Maxima for my son to drive to college and I'm going to order a stereo soon. Thought it might be nice for him to have a backup camera since the car has everything else.

Was thinking about this stereo: Pioneer

Haven't decided on a backup camera yet, but was thinking a license plate one off amazon like this one.

I looked around last night at the car and I think getting it in the trunk is no problem and getting it triggered by the reverse lights is no problem, but where do people generally run these up to the head unit? On the sill plate? I'm not going to pull the seats.

If anyone has any better suggestions on gear here, I'd be glad to hear it.

2. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Sill plate has to be the easiest route. Still not a fun project in my mind, but a good upgrade.

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I paid a local shop to install one on my 2012 Murano. He pulled no seats and finished the job in record time. YMMV.

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Wonder if you want to look at stereo with Apple Car capability, for maps.

5. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

My truck has a cam in the tailgate, I'm an old truck driver and well used to using my mirrors... the cam is useless if the gate is down.
    However, I've gotten used to the camera and it's really helpful for backing into a spot and for connecting to my boat trailer.
    I wanted to add a second camera in the bed for connecting to a 5th wheel trailer (hard to see the hitch plate over my shoulder as the truck is a crew-cab). there was nothing too easy a far as plug and play, but the OEM uses simple NTSC composite video, so a set of relays and a proximity switch in the tailgate that switches cams when the gate is open is super easy to do.

6. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I'd run down the sill plate too

7. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

We have had this on our last three personal vehicles F250, F150, CLA 250. Will be law very soon in Canada. I worth while feature if you ask me.

8. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

I'd put it under the carpet, but without pulling the seats. So pull the sill plates, pull the carpet up a bit, run the wire, and then put it back together. Also, no need for a new head unit...

Back-up camera, constant recording of front and rear activity...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MBG3JZV/?tag=homthelou-20

9. JeffC

Thanks everyone. He needs a head unit so we can add aux input and bluetooth hands free. Thats a done deal. Just wanting to add the camera too.

10. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Well-Known Member

They have BT cameras but not sure if the head unit can accept it

11. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Gotcha, just thought I'd toss it out there ;-)

12. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I can't vouch for it because I've not used one, but I recently saw a license plate frame backup camera with wireless transmission to a receiver you attach to a video screen or video-enabled head unit.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I'd run the cable under the sill plates. I've done this on my GTI and was pretty easy to do. My camera replaced one of the license plate lights and just clicked into the hole so looked factory. Both our cars are newer so have them as OEM and they're super hand for backing up to my boat trailer.

14. JeffC

Didn't end up installing a backup camera. My son just wasn't that interested. All my research didn't go to waste though because my workstation guy bought one and we're putting it on his truck sometime this week.

Put this stereo in last night for my son. JVC KW-R930BTS.

I liked the Pioneer but he wanted all the fancy lights. :smiley: Fair enough. I just wanted him to have a hands free phone before he took off for college.

Daughter bought a new car Monday night. Mazda 6. Pretty neat cars. They had a loaded Mazda3 certified pre owned for 20K. 2018 with 2000 miles. Damn near bought it for myself. Good thing I didn't have 20K in my pocket.

20190416_203704%280%29-M.jpg

Rick C, DYohn, Denton and 1 other person like this.
  15. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

wow, nice.:sunglasses:
    you wanna adopt another child?
    I am already house broken & no more school loans:blush:

16. JeffC

I'm pretty poor right now. You'd be a sad dependent. :smiley::smiley::tonguewink: But, now that I've got my Xterra back, I do have a 97 Ford Explorer (Dora) that you can drive. The parking prawl is bad so if you park on an incline you have to use the ebrake. And sometimes it doesn't start in Park and you have to put it in Neutral. I'll type it up for you. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Carl V and Barry_NJ like this.