Apostle (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DustinDavis, Dec 19, 2018.

1. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Found this on Netflix and I was intrigued, as it is directed by Gareth Evans, director of The Raid: Redemption, and The Raid 2, both movies I hold in high regard. It also has pretty high marks on Rotten Tomatoes. So I gave this a shot last night.

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. 20 minutes in I could pretty much tell it wasn't going well. But I kept giving Gareth Evans the benefit of the doubt right through the bitter end, and holy crap I want that 2 hours back.

For the life of me I cannot understand what kind of movie it really is. Main character finds his sister is being held by a religious cult of some sort. So then he goes to infiltrate the cult and recover her. Along the way we find out about some leadership conflict within the cult--but in a really roundabout way because one of the leaders has a daughter with child. And we find out about the...god?...witch?...whatever that is both the benefactor of the cult, but apparently also the slave...or anyhow who knows or cares. The movie rides this weird middle ground of revenge, and then suspense, and then horror, and real, but wait there is this supernatural thing going on, and it just doesn't work. I suppose the ending was supposed to make me raise my eyebrows and change my perspective on the prior 2 hours. Instead it made me lob expletives at the screen in my own home.

Basically, this is why Gareth Evans should be entrusted with action and motion and not extraneous stuff like plot or characters or dialogue. Two thumbs down.