Aquaman (2018)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, May 19, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Many of you may already be aware that Jason Momao (humorously referred to as Carl Drago in my house) will star in as Aquaman in Justice League (Justice League (2017)) coming out this November.

aquaman.jpg

Amber Heard will star as Mera in both films.
    y1xknad3gbyy.jpg

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Well I will give it a try, looking forward to justice league and hoping they fine the right balance for their movies soon.

3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I like the casting of Momoa...I think it fits. Now if DC can just write a decent script (and get a good director).

Get Nolan...and get Bale to come back for Justice League while you're at it (I know it's too late for that) :P

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

6. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

My dad was the inker for this in 1962. He doesn't look much like Drago.

677369.jpg

Barry_NJ, CJ and Max Yokell like this.
  7. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I'm not sure, I think Momoa may be too gritty for the Aquaman I imagine. Aquaman was always so polished and poised. I think he'd be great as Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner though.

8. Max Yokell

Saturday is Noah’s 14th birthday. He and a bunch of our friends are going to the 415 IMAX 2D showing. Really bummed it isn’t in the Dolby theater but hoping for the best.

9. Barry_NJ

Looking forward to your impressions Max.

10. Max Yokell

Ok saw it yesterday in the imax 2D experience.

Sound was very good as was video.

Spoiler free

Now I am not saying DCU movies suck but so far other than Wonder Woman the stories have not been coherent. I am not going to say this was better the WW but I will say I enjoyed it a great deal. The overall story is not insanely disjointed and is in fact actually pretty straight forward. You won’t be confused like BVS or Justice League.

This movie is a comic book movie that doesn’t take itself overly seriously and has some humor in it. Now I will say there were a couple of cringey lines that one of the other adults pointed out that created laughs but I think it was kind of done with tongue In cheek as they were backed by humorous music cues. I think they new what they were doing and it was aimed at being comic book like.

Still a simple easy to follow story with humor and lots of action was really what the DCU needed and this fit the bill. I really enjoyed it and might see it again t Noah leaves on the morning of the 26th for a big scout trip so might not happen. I expect it to do pretty well at the box office and get a sequel.

One mid credit scene to stay for.

That is all.

11. CJ

I'll probably wait for home video... its not just that the DCU movies have been incoherent, the dialog has been god awful and its tough to care about the characters they way they've been so sloppily introduced.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  12. Max Yokell

Agree, but he good news is that Zach Snyder is out, and they seem to be cleaning up the mess.

13. CJ

I’d make Patty Jenkins my Kevin Feige at this point.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  14. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Saw "Aquaman". No.

DYohn and DustinDavis like this.
  15. Barry_NJ

Reviews aren't panning it, I have tickets for an IMAX matinee on 1/1...

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Saw this today with the family. For a DC movie I found it was quite enjoyable but it didn't hold my wife's attention as she was falling asleep through out it....but then again we were all up till 2:30 last night.

17. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I saw this last night and if you are suspending disbelief (it's a comic, so you kind of have to) anyway it was a fun watch. Just a lot of inconsistent stuff throughout. Sometimes people could walk sometimes they floated just above the floor. There are several others but I don't want to spoil the movie.

I had fun and didn't look at the time for the first hour. That's pretty good. I was expecting it to be better visually. Like a Mad Max Thunder Road or the Alpha movie, but it wasn't....

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Saw it today. Kinda fun, a bit overlong. Lots & lots of action, terrific cgi work and sound, although a mom with two small kids about 7 or 8 (?) left after about a half hour. I think it was too loud for the kids. Got a good chuckle from the drummer. Still doesn't answer Koothrpalies' question though; "where does Aquaman poop? And where does the poop go?

19. Kenny Stultz

Kenny Stultz Member

The wife and I saw it this past weekend and both enjoyed it. It must have cost Ft. Knox for all the CGI work.

20. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, girlfriend did too, it was a 'little' long in the tooth but that may have been the fault of the concession stand and the fountain pop I consumed...seriously the only line that truly bugged me was "Ocean Master".