Boring ahem

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Dec 15, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I've had a $100 "task chair" in my home office for a few years and it finally gave up the ghost. The chair had height adjustment and a lever that you pulled out to enable tilt back and pushed in to lock full upright. Well the chair was made with cheap enough materials that it was going to result in my death. In the past few months the back would tilt back over 30 degrees when LOCKED in full upright. Something was bending or breaking and I was going to get dumped tits over teakettle at some point.

So last night I got a mid level office chair. Its rated as a real office chair designed for 8+ hours a day. The outgoing chair was like 2-4 hours. I don't know how official those figure are but its something Office Depot/Max lists for every chair they sell. Any way the new one has height, seat depth, armrest height, armrest rotate, armrest depth, tilt that locks in multiple positions, waterfall seat, and back height adjustment which also adjusts where the lumbar support built falls on your back. It was only $250 but its a MASSIVE improvement. Oh, and a minor, you don't know it until you have it feature... the castors are about 30% larger which makes it much smoother to move around.

DustinDavis and DYohn like this.
  2. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

So what make and model is it? I am looking for a chair where I can push back on the seat back by itself without tilting the whole chair back. My office chair was like that I could exercise/relax my back muscles with that.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

4. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I went with the Miller (recycled) thru these guys for $500. Then I added roller blade wheel casters.

5. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Damn...I clicked on CJ's link now all my ads are for office chairs... :)

DYohn likes this.
  6. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I went too long with a mediocre chair at my home desk. My back is paying for it. Nice purchase.

7. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

We have a basement office that Maureen used when she was a professor. I bought a Herman Miller Aeron chair like Mike's. I had one when I worked at the National Archives, and although the chair is pricy, it's the best chair you can sit in in my humble opinion. The net molds to you, and when my back gave me trouble, sitting down made the pain go away.

CJ likes this.
  8. RJ

RJ Member

I like my chair from autonomous.ai
    I have the ErgoChari2 - you can adjust it to just about any position you want.
    I also have their standing desk, which I quite like

9. pillatier

I have plush carpet in the study. The office charis has wheels that look like these. They tend to dig into the carpet and becomes difficult to move. I recently sprained my left shoulder trying to push the chair sideways. What would be good design for replacement wheels that roll smoothly on plush carpet? If you have hands on experience with any particular make and size I'd like to know.

Attached Files:

10. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Put down one of those thick plastic thingies? Meant for exactly the problem you describe. Buy ‘em at Office Depot or like.

jasn, Carl V and Denton like this.
  11. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Yup. I have that as well.

12. Mike B

These are what I'm using.

13. pillatier

I had one of those in my office when I was working. It was a perpetual tripping hazard and coffee spiller for me. After killing three keyboards with spilled coffee the IT guy left me a spare keyboard! Hence my reluctance to put one in my study at home.

14. pillatier

Working good for you on carpet, I guess?

15. pillatier

The video shows you can lean back independent of the seat - i.e. seat stays flat but the back can independently rock back and forth is that correct? If so that's what I have been looking for. My current supposedly ergonomic chair the whole seat and seat back rock back and forth together but not just the seat back independently.

16. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Carpet is carpet. Casters don’t like rolling on cut pile. Persian carpets. Oriental rugs. Yeah maybe. They make plastic rug cards with spikes on the underside. They won’t shift or curl up. Either that or give up coffee. Walk slowly. Or recall you momma telling you to carry it with two hands.

17. Mike B

Just for you I moved it on the carpet. Not as easy to roll as laminate, but I don't ever see spraining my shoulder either.

18. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

See this is sometimes the problem with IT guys...applying a technology solution before completely understanding the problem. What you really need is a sippy cup.

Denton, pillatier and Carl V like this.
  19. pillatier

Thanks Mike B.

20. pillatier

Reminds me of an old saying "If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail." The saying has been attributed to various people.

Denton likes this.