brakes: pads and rotors

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Drew, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I need brakes and rotors for my car. Autozone is down the street. On their website I thought it was going to be close to $450. I called the local store and its more around $270 out the front and back, pads and rotors + hardware. Things like brake grease not included. I'm not getting the cool rotors with holes in them or anything like that.

For or any of the parts store big box, is there a $ difference that is worth worrying about? Should I avoid Auto Zone/Pep Boys/etc?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. carlthess40

carlthess40 Member

They are fine. You do need the anti squeal glue that stops the pads from squeaking or squealer it’s likes like a orange glue
    And what you do is you put it on the back of the pad anywhere that it touches the caliper and that will make it when you let off the brakes the pad will stay to the caliper and not ride on the rotor and the break grease is to let the pads move back and forth easer
    You only put that on the small tabs the slide
    In the calipers
    And you can also tell them something like this
    I can get it for this much down the street what can you do for me to lower the price with a Advance auto parts they can do that on their computer ,they can keep entering the lower price and until it lets them enter that price , it will show them a black ,yellow or red Icon to tell them if they can do that. They can do it as long as it does not show up red
    Trust me. I do it every time I buy parts there
    They just have to click a tab to say why they are giving you a lower price. It works every time
    First pic is the glue
    Second pic is where you put the grease
    Third pic is where you put the glue
    Also get 100% Ceramic low dust brake pads

9340289f2887b60ee3f6cdd197581823.jpg a450f71b0373ebe1335e6e3a162bc6d6.jpg db9577b86220a17587267ac1bd90ca4e.jpg

3. carlthess40

carlthess40 Member

You will see in the 2nd pic. That’s the only place where steel on steel slides onto its self
    The 3rd pic is where the pads will sit into the steel parts on the caliper and pistons are the caliper or piston depending on if you have one too or for pistons on your calendars but you only want to glue the contact where the caliper will push on the brake pad
    Let it sit for 30 minutes and then go drive it
    Make 3 or 4 slow downs and 1 or 2 hard stops. But don’t keep your foot on the break pedal. The rotors are getting and are hot and will warp. So if your at a red light waiting , put the car in part until you can start driving. This should only take you about 15 minutes or so. After your done let the rotors and pads cool down for o e hour or more. What this is doing is seasoning your break parts and it’s a very important thing to do and most people do not do it and wonder why there is a blackish Glase on the rotors and why they don’t work as well as they should

Denton likes this.
  4. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The auto parts chains have raised their prices a lot over the past couple of years. Autozone and Advance have both gone to discount coupons. Hence the large difference between the apparent "list" price and the actual price out the door. A web search will locate some discount codes if needed. Carl has described how to get the lower price well without the codes. YMMV.

Buy ceramic.

5. carlthess40

carlthess40 Member

I also buy from a few online stores. You just need to watch out for the shipping
    A part may be $10 and shipping 30
    And the same part down the page may say $15 and $5 shipping
    But I never buy the break parts of of flebay
    The rotors are very cheap steel and most of the drilled and slotted rotors are refurbished used rotors and are at the minimum thickness and are warped
    The best online is rockauto.com
    Just look at the shipping, that’s where you can get into be trouble.

6. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I've bought from Rock Auto, great pricing and quick delivery - but not quite the correct parts.
    double check their stock numbers against something someone has already ordered. Mine were replacement spark plug wires for a '95 taurus (pulling old plug wires off of a transverse v6 is painful) They weren't the correct length, but I was able to make them work.

7. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Rock auto or amazon. My nephew manages an auto parts store, and they beat his cost almost every time. And he'll sell me jobber.

Bent likes this.
  8. JeffC

If you go rock auto, they sell good/better/best as well, so watch for that as well. I did the front of my Tahoe for $220 a few months ago.

9. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

I just went to autozone down the street.
    Had a hell of a time getting the second two bolts off, luckily I had a bar in the garage I could use as a breaker. Took much longer on the first wheel than it should have. To top it off, the scissor jack crapped out on me and it settled a bit. I was lucky enough to get the car back up just enough to get the tire back on. Was a bitch getting it lowered. I had to use a hammer beating on the side of of the jack to get it out. Ended up going to costco to get a floor jack I wasn't planning on getting. But hey, I have a floor jack now i guess. *shrug*

The second wheel took like 1/4 the time. I'll do the years later this weekend.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 11:20 AM
  10. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Everyone needs a floor jack, I just got one myself and haven't used it yet. Yeah those scissor jacks are light duty only for changing tire at most. Unstable and dangerous as hell. If you plan a lot of this stuff get a couple of jack stands for real safety.

11. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Ugh! Good luck.

12. JeffC

You have to pull the caliper on that car? Caliper bolts generally have threadlocker. You might check online and see if your car needs it. I warm mine up so I don't have a struggle (and to be fair I also use an impact). I've done hundreds of brake jobs, and when I have to remove the caliper, I always go back in with blue threadlocker.

And please use jackstands. Or at least slide the wheel under the rotor.

I don't have it, but that costco jack gets great reviews. Just make sure it's full of fluid.

13. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I've done a few brake jobs, and always slide the tire under the frame. This is good practice. I had a jack fold up once, I would have one less leg if I did not put the rim under the car.

14. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

three scissor jacks have folded or buckled on me, I can't use them for anything other than changing a tire (and it was during tire changes when they folded)

15. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I don't use scissor jacks anymore period. I have a pretty big trolley type jack that I use for everything now.

I also don't put my leg under the car. My truck I can almost walk around under when the tires are on the ground. My wife's car.... no part of me goes under there.