Captain Marvel

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Max Yokell, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Well it sure doesn't seem to be hurting the take, over 150 million opening weekend domestic and nearly a half billion world wide. It is seriously sucking in the dollars or yen or euros or whatever.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

CJ: Yes, this is what I was aware of and I agree with you that this does exist. I guess we disagree on the impact that it's having on actual box office. I do believe that there are many "incels" and people who claim they feel a certain way but it doesn't seem to be affecting the money so that's why I think the controversy is overblown and like I said, I think a good chunk of those people are either a) being influenced by paid trolls for various nefarious (and benign) purposes or b) are paid trolls, bots, etc.
    So my conclusion is that the hateful crowd is actually a tiny and extremely vocal minority and that's the only explanation for the sharp divide between the online "reality" and actual reality (hard dollars and cents). Think about the massive box office of "Wonder Woman", "Black Panther", and now "Captain Marvel"...it doesn't jive with the vitriol.
    Even "The Last Jedi" performed about as well as Episodes 2 or 5 (middle chapters) relative to the massive box office of TFA. And what about TFA? It has the biggest domestic gross ever with a "Mary Sue", a black guy, and a latino guy as the stars. :)

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I never once mentioned box office other than to acknowledge it is a financial success.

4. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I wasn't ready for Hawkeye to have Natalie Dormer's haircut.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  6. Randy Rhoton

So anyway, I got off the couch last night and went to see this. Liked it quite a bit, even without knowing anything about the character other than it's existence. Didn't overdo or underdo the FX, a bit confusing in the way her backstory was presented, but it worked out over the course of the movie. A whole bunch of weaving together of the other films was done reasonably well, and I liked the1980 vintage stuff. I did have problems with some things the tesseract did in this movie vs what it did in others. The post main credit scene was quite the teaser, wondering how many of you stayed for the shorter one at the very end of all the credits. And that one relates to my tesseract question. And speaking of credits, interesting how nowadays the smallest thing can get listed. Example, the Louisiana craft services company listed their sous chef's name.

Loved the cat.

7. Dennis Pagoulatos

Glad you liked it; audience reaction has been really positive so that's a good sign.
    We are going to try and catch it this weekend and I will report back!

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this one...question though is it a "must see" before End Game?

9. Randy Rhoton

Must see? Probably not, but it would help as her backstory directly relates to it, and to Guardians of the Galaxy, who are now involved in Endgame since Infinity War.

10. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert Active Member

Just got home from seeing this in 3D. I loved it. I have absolutely zero MCU fatigue. Sure a couple of them haven't been as great (I'm looking at you Iron Man 3 and Thor 2), but overall the vast majority have been at least 4 star movies for me. I still haven't got over the joy of seeing all my favorite comic book heroes come to life on the big screen. Brie Larson is fantastic as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.

11. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Troy if only they gave her the Miss Marvel costume,

12. Randy Rhoton

Speaking of the cat, recently saw an ad on F/B for a t-shirt with a picture of it captioned "Bring me Thanos". :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:10 PM
    Denton likes this.
  13. Dennis Pagoulatos

I watched Captain Marvel with my kids yesterday and also enjoyed it overall with some caveats. I'd rate it as "middle of the pack" for a Marvel movie; a solid double up the middle. The movie is a bit all over the place tonally and this was mostly exemplified with a strangely wooden performance from Brie Larson. I understand that she's supposedly a good actress, and that there are explained movie reasons that her character behaves the way she does; I just don't think it's consistent: one minute a stone faced soldier suppressing emotions, the next she's wisecracking and acting "normal". The movie does find its footing in the second act and ends strongly, which is the reverse of most Marvel films in my opinion (they seem to have strong openings and a flat ending with unmemorable villains most of the time).

14. Randy Rhoton