Car talk

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Drew, Jun 26, 2020.

1. carlthess50

carlthess50 Member

Pretty much the only reason why you would change your fluid in a rear rand or front and in the transfer case is if you’re going out muddying or driving through a bunch of watery conditions. As they all have a vent cap and or hose coming from them to allow expansion of the fluids and heat expansion to escape. So unless you’re using them and those conditions it’s not really a big deal to go change them out every 20 30,000 miles. As most of the ones that have been made for the last 10 or 15 years they are designed for pretty much a lifetime of use. But of course if you use the vehicle for lotta heavy towing
    Then that would also change the time of when you would change the fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

That's what I'm expecting them to say (it's within params). For as much as gear fluid is, the $ I was quoted to do both diffs and the xfer case isn't terrible.

3. Rick C

Rick C Well-Known Member

Our 2004 BMW has had a cranky central locking system for a couple of years. Worse when it is hot out. This past week it would not allow me to open either door, gas filler or glove box. At one point it locked me in the car.

Some research revealed this is a known problem on the 3, 5 Z4 and Z8 with an erratic GM 5 module. BMW fix is a new module and recoding for $750. Internet fix is two relays for $10 and get the module from the car and replace the relays on the board. It took about an hour and a half going slowly to desolder the old relays without damaging the board. It works now - a relief.

The picture is midway with one relay removed

8872D95E-04A8-4625-B13A-C36F67D3CC15.jpeg

Denton and Barry_NJ like this.
  4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Just be glad you're not trying to desolder-solder one of those SMD packages. If it was anything but relays with through-holes I'd say the $750 was worth it. :)

Rick C likes this.
  5. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Oh yeah, I don't do SMD's. Probably cost you 500 bucks for the tools. And w/o the experience / training you'd just scrap it anyway

Rick C and DYohn like this.
  6. Drew

from a tacoma thread, which sums up my thoughts
    46qzp6-jpg.jpg

7. Drew

Consensus seems the rear diff comes out pretty dirty at even 15k miles with a good amount of muck on the drain mag. Keep in mind Toyota had a major recall for the rear diff for 2016s and certain 2017 models (mine doesn't fall under the recall, so that's good??).

One dealer wanted $442 to do all three and diag fee to inspect the rear diff, but wouldn't cover it as I'm just outside the 36 mo warranty. Another dealer has a "preferred service" quoted me $1k to do both diffs, xfer case, clean MAF sensor, filters, oil, tire rotation, maybe 1-2 other things. That's not even including the transmission. And at first they were like we can do the 4x4 service for $330, or $399 for a package. When asking for specific pricing regarding the diffs and xfer case fluids the cost magically went up to $450. So either the original $330/$399 price did NOT include something or just other dealer fuckery going on.

I'm going to hold off on the xfer case, seems most who changed it early had super clean fluid and regretted changing it. The genuine Toyota xfer case fluid is ~$85 a quart. I ordered the gear fluid for the diffs and will change it when I get back from camping next week.

8. DYohn

Get rid of the truck?

9. Drew

No. Just not going to the stealership for this maint. I'll torque the bolts on the 3rd member to updated spec (some claim they were incorrectly torqued at factory) and clean up what is weeping and keep an eye on it. I've experienced zero issue with the truck. No hesitation, no issues with any 4x4 function, no diff howl.

DYohn likes this.
  10. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

Drew and Marisa routinely twist to maximum allowable torqueage. So hard.

DYohn likes this.
  11. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Well, that's quite the hole you can go down with regard to Toyota specific transfer case oil. I generally default over the the guys at bobistheoilguy and they're using a bit of the ol 75w90 GL4 or GL5. Thread here.

Can you buy CRC MAF Sensor cleaner out there in CA? If not you can clean them with carb cleaner as well. Shouldn't take you too long to get that list done. Have fun!

12. Drew

I'll probably go with the 75w90 or MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 PDS later on in the xfer case. Sounds like lots of guys on tacomaworld are doing the same. From posts and calling dealers I'm getting the impression they don't bother with the 75w straight xfer case fluid and just use 75w90. They either don't sell it/have it in stock usually or just straight up don't use the 75w in the services they offer.

13. DYohn

For the gear heads. One of my little brothers lives in some small town in Ohio and sent me these photos of a car he just helped his friend and neighbor rebuild. I told him I hope he never has an oil leak to keep that chrome-plated engine looking pretty. :)

DSC04804.JPG DSC04806.JPG DSC04811.JPG

John Celardo and Carl V like this.
  14. JeffC

Nice. '68 is my favorite year first gen. That engine bay would be a nightmare. :grin:

DYohn likes this.
  15. JeffC

Did another car with the turtle wax hybrid kit. I used the wash, wax/polish and spray ceramic coat. The polish/wax is almost useless as paint correction, but it does remove spots on the paint. You could probably just clay instead of using this. The wash is fine but not as soapy as the meguires gold class I usually wash with. The ceramic spray wax seems pretty good. My wife's car is a black 2020 Equinox and it looks great. For the price, can't beat it on good paint. If you need paint correction, this is not it.