Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Television' started by DYohn, May 25, 2019.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Having worked with and around nuclear power in the Navy and returned to civilian life in 1984, I was very affected by the Chernobyl accident in 1986. I remember being frightened out of my wits by the reports and thinking "don't minimize this! This is serious shit!" I thought very similar things more recently about Fukushima.

The HBO mini series captures the fear I felt back then and makes me feel it again. I just binged the first three episodes on the DVR and found it to be extremely compelling viewing. Stellan Skarsgard, Jared Harris and Emily Watson are giving tour de force performances. This is must watch stuff if you haven't seen it. Highly recommended.

Blake likes this.
  2. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Hmmm
    There was a recent article study about Chernobyl
    How without ‘mans’ presence Nature has bounced back pretty well.

4. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

David I recommend you read “Midnight in Chernobyl” which coincidentally I finished just before I heard about this miniseries. Really scary shit. The book gives even more insight into the cultural, social, and power structures contributing to flaws in design, failure to accept, report, or fix those flaws, and basically it continues all the way until the disaster became public and international pressure forced them to act differently. I felt sickened while I was reading it. The hellish power of a runaway reaction is just...awesome. Really good book.

DYohn likes this.
  5. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Before Chernobyl and Fukushima there was Three Mile Island (TMI) near Harrisburg PA, partial meltdown in one reactor in 1979. Apparently, even today there increased cancer incidents down wind from the TMI. I think there was movie about it too, cannot recall the name.

6. DYohn

I knew guys who went to TMI to work on the cleanup. Their accident was nothing in comparison. My favorite nuclear disaster story is the sL1 incident. Look up that one.

7. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I forgot that brother Yohn had spent time in Idaho. "Idaho Falls: The Untold Story of America's First Nuclear Accident"

My father has a couple of books that cover the story including the above title. He had an opportunity to work there but turned it down. They should have listened to Admiral Rickover.

8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I just passed a coworker in the hallway who brought this up and said the first two episodes he's seen are outstanding.

9. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I'm addicted to the Chernobyl series. Maureen, who never watches TV is glued to it too. Scary stuff.

The movie that coincided with TMI was The China Syndrome. It wasn't about TMI, but the scenario was the same. I went to see it with a date right after the event in PA, and when Jane Fonda or Jack Lemon said the core meltdown might burn through the earths surface, everyone in the theater gasped.

Denton likes this.
  10. DYohn

I liked SNL's Pepsi Syndrome parody. I was in the Navy working at the Idaho National Engineering Lab at the time and I brought a case of Pepsi to work to give all the reactor operators...

Rick C and Denton like this.
  11. DYohn

The finale of Chernobyl was pretty great. Can anyone say "Emmy for Jared Harris?"

12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

mh7q757yuj231.jpg

Denton and DYohn like this.
  13. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

The wife and I just saw the first two episodes. The acting and production are very enjoyable. I saw a show, ‘Mega Engineering” or something, where they were building a new containment building for the reactor. I can’t imagine what it was like when the reactor first blew.

14. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

We finished the the final 3 episodes last night. Very educational and well done. I’m glad they didn’t stretch it out, 5 episodes was just about right.

DYohn likes this.
  15. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Interesting counterpoints to the presentation of the events and the portrayal of nuclear power in the series:

Why HBO's "Chernobyl" Gets Nuclear So Wrong

I don't think I agree with all of it. In any case, the book Midnight in Chernobyl I think suffers less from the need to dramatize for either expediency or effect, which also drives home the notion that the damnable misery of this event is really the lies, deceit, and other treachery that made it a possibility and hindered the response to it.

DYohn and Carl V like this.