Cloud backup services

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Saurav, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

What are you using? I'm setting up my wife's PC, went to install Carbonite (which is what I switched to when Crashplan went away), and found that my subscription is up for renewal in a week. Now seems like a good time to consider alternatives.

Our needs are pretty basic. 2 PCs, my wife has Photoshop/Illustrator projects, mine is just email/docs.

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Crashplan here.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Crashplan... I just switched to Small Business. Its only a little more expensive if its just one machine. The big negative was when they dropped the consumer plan, that was like $100 a YEAR for up to FIVE machines. Now its like $10 a month per machine. Still, if you only have one machine its reasonable.

Also Crashplan still allows you to back up a NAS natively on OSX and I think you can fudge some work arounds on PC. If not for that I'm paying like $100 a MONTH to back up my NAS.

4. DustinDavis

Same here, I was forced over to Small Biz when they exited the consumer biz, but it’s still a decent price.

5. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Huh, I thought they shut down, but I must be remembering that wrong, I guess they just shut down whatever plan I was on.

6. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I thought I was going to end up paying more for Crashplan, but I just checked, and I am paying Carbonite for extra storage space, I think my bill for last year was around $500. This makes switching back to Crashplan a no-brainer.

Edit: Oh now I remember, I bought additional storage because I needed some overlap for some reason, was swapping computers or something. I'm using much less than what I had paid for. I'll have to take a closer look at what I actually need.

7. DustinDavis

They shut down consumer plans.

8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Yeah, obviously they don't really care what "status" you really are but they shut down the multi-machine all you can eat plans. Now its essentially 1 computer, 1 price. Not sure why that is "small business" vs. any other model but whatever. It works for me.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Take a look at backblaze. I personally don't use it but I know several of my IT co-workers that do. Personally I just use TimeMachine and Veeam to backup my machines to an on prem NAS and iCloud / OneDrive for photo's and doc's.