COVID-19 advice

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by DYohn, Mar 6, 2020.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Symptoms of flu and COVID-19 are kinda similar specially if the COVID-19 is a mild event so sometimes difficult to differentiate. Some NYC hospital is experimentally using plasma from a recovered patients to treat infected ones. I think I heard they will give that to healthy subjects to see if they build antibodies too - a kind of crude vaccine.

My concern is that in flattening the curve we may get another burst next winter though by then we may have a better handle how to handle and treat the sick. I don't think commercial scale manufactured vaccine/s for general population would be available by then. Whatever vaccine that may have been developed will likely to given to front line healthcare folks and first responders - and correctly so. It be available to the rich and well connected of course.

I was at three different stores today, the fresh food items are nearly fully stocked back-up. Some frozen veggies are still not there, and the canned soups aisle is still mostly empty. Forgot to check the TP aisle!

Speaking of TP I have concluded the hoarders have their noses in their butt why would someone need TP for a cold/flu like respiratory disease?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

This was mid February for us so even closer to the actual "outbreak" of COVID from a public awareness perspective.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  3. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

pillatier likes this.
  4. CJ

Its too bad that in the face of fighting a real, deadly pandemic we also have to fight morons who are too stupid and selfish to do the right thing.

5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

6. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

EB98FD90-A683-48D5-B483-A2F8DB68C311.png

Denton likes this.
  7. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Pfffttt

Or as pogo woulda said we have met the enemy and he is us. I’ll hafta look around for a good Calvin and Hobbes quote. ‘ExCuse me now while I kiss the sky

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  8. pillatier

Dennis and CJ certainly sounds like you got it and recovered. Your plasma with the antibodies may be useful for clinical trials where it is being given to patients and subjects. If any such study is going in your local area hospital or medical college perhaps you can volunteer.

9. CJ

I would be totally willing to get tested and donate if something gets set up. Like I said, it obviously could have been flu-A too but who knows.

pillatier likes this.
  10. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

DYohn likes this.
  11. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Yes, that's the link I posted. Worth a listen.

12. pillatier

This year's flu vaccine was no the best match, I heard. I went through mild flu like symptoms in late January, I am sure I caught it from the checkout lady at the local supermarket looked like she was fighting a cold.

13. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

The fact that A) we are not testing and B) China (to be fair like most governments) is not known for being "honest" makes me question everything about the official timeline (how long has this thing been circulating unchecked really?) and the true number of cases, which has to be astronomically higher than "official" numbers.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Max Yokell likes this.
  14. pillatier

There is always the possibility that SARS2 (COVID-19) virus has been circulating for a while. However, knowing how fast it has spread the timeline is most likely accurate. Wuhan local govt. including POTUS downplayed it until it could not be anymore.

15. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Well-Known Member

Couple questions for those that know WAY more about this:
    1) I, like what CJ mentioned, know a couple folks that had a bad case of a flu for some 2 weeks. If no one knew of Covid-19 at the time, could it have been misdiagnosed as influenza A or B?
    2) If someone had it and recovered can they be tested?
    3) if so, can these numbers be skewing the overall numbers that we see so often mentioned. I see so many charts that show numbers of infected, deceased and recovered and they don't add up.

16. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

1) Yes, it's possible, especially if no formal testing was done to determine Flu type.
    2) Not sure if they have a test for antibodies yet, and it seems some don't maintain those antibodies after fighting it off.
    3) Many people are still Infected, so Deceased+Recovered won't equal Total Infected for some time.

17. CJ

#2 is theoretically possible but not right now.

18. pillatier

Pete, there are several resources floating around IMO the most reliable is the one from Johns Hopkins.
    Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

We may never know the real total number of infections because many will simply recover an never get tested. The numbers we have now are the patients that have been tested and found positive. As for the urability of the antibodies it's yet to be determined.

Dr. Fauchi yesterday already mentioned a real possibility of a second wave next Fall-Winter, considering that the infection is now spreading in the Southern Hemisphere which is going into the winter season. Hopefully we will have a better handle on how to manage by then. Chances of a widely available vaccine is low to nil until next spring considering it the time it takes for testing and scale up to full scale manufacturing.

19. pillatier

20. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

The Guardian article sites a UK study that sort of corroborates the theory that this may have been circulating widely among the populace earlier than people think:
    Can we trust the Oxford study on Covid-19 infections? | Adam Kucharski
    Also a good watch- I really like this guy since he always gives historical perspective when discussing current events/ politics: