Crowd reacting to $999 "monitor" stand from Apple (because their $5k displays don't include one)

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Drew, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

As much of an Apple defender I usually am I don't get this one. Often times I think their prices are justified by a combination of performance, aesthetic, and ecosystem, as well as a product that has a similar or lower cost of ownership because of resale value and longevity. What I hate about karma whoring idiots on Reddit and their ilk is the fact that they discount ALL of the latter factors because they don't care (and because they can reap sweet fake internet points). So they compare shit brick plastic piece of trash Acer laptop with a garbage OS full of adware to a MacBook pro and are too fucking stupid to realize they're not the same product. But this stand... yikes.

Zak likes this.
  3. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I like Apple products even though I have moved away from them. But hell no, on those prices, hell no.

4. CJ

The Mac Pro is a workstation and well worth $5-$10k. These aren't high end PCs. They're professional workstations that will be used by companies like Pixar. The stand is really the only issue here for people with half a brain (which on social media is exceedingly rare).

5. Drew

$5-10k for a pro-grade workstation AND it can grate cheese? No-brainer right there.

Seriously though, that and the new screns approaching a replacement for 2-3x $ reference screen.

6. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

That computer looks amazing! Way more than many will need. I’d like to see the monitor in person.

PS. My 2013 Mac Pro (10 core, 64GB) is a great machine for what I want.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

We spend similar money on pro workstations but you're right the monitor costs are crazy.

8. CJ

Hey, put your money where your mouth is internet whiners. Make a stand that does everything the Apple Pro stand does and charge $500. I'll be happy to join you on your yacht when you are a multi-millionaire.

DYohn likes this.
  9. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

10. CJ

CAVEAT: My frustration is not directed at Drew or Dustin or anyone in this thread, I just literally can't use Reddit the last couple days because 50% of the subs I subscribe to are 50% "jerk jerk hur de dur apple sux" right now. I'm not intending to take out that frustration on people here who aren't causing it. With that said,

It doesn't have a magnetic mount... whether that is necessary is obviously debatable but this goes back to my post of people comparing Corolla to a Lexus and either pretending their the same or actually being too stupid to realize they're not.

If you have a VESA compatible arm or are willing to get one then you don't need this stand. So move on. Meanwhile about 10% of reddit the last couple days are post about this stand. Get FUCKING over it. No one gives a shit that a Rolex costs $10k even though you can get a watch for $12 at target. The circle jerk around a product no one is forcing you to buy and isn't FUCKING marketed at you is just tired.

Samsung tried to launch a folding phone that fell apart when you folded it and it generated about 0.001% of the internet buzz. I guess when you are king you get pot shots taken at you.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    DYohn likes this.
  11. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

The people complaining about the price of the stand probably don't need/can't afford the monitor it is built for anyway. Unless you have the means to buy the monitor itself, the price of the stand is irrelevant.

12. Drew

Why go through the effort when all you have to do is cover the apple logo.:laughing:

13. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Apple could have softened the blow of the extra cost for the stand a lot better than they did, but I agree with everything CJ has posted in this thread.

And by the way the only Apple branded products I own at the moment are my iPhone and my iPad mini. But if I needed a workstation-class PC, the new Mac Pro would be at the top of my list.

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Marketing fuck up. Should have been $6000 monitor. $5000 without the stand.

DYohn likes this.
  15. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

All CJ said is valid, on the other hand I wonder how you expected some measured thoughtful responses would arise from Reddit user base.

DYohn likes this.
  16. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have no problem with the stand either. If you can afford the cheese grater computer and the monitor, an extra grand for the matching cheese grater stand is a no brainer.

Shits gotta match eh?

17. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

When I replaced my MacMini system about 3 months ago, I looked at the Apple/LG monitors and decided they were overpriced. Bought a new TOTL 4K LG on Amazon for half the price. I have a Thunderbolt Apple 27" monitor that I don't need. Any bids???????????

18. CJ

I have zero expectations and it is such shit I'm still disappointed. Social media is cancer.