Disney + [yawn]

Discussion in 'Television' started by CJ, May 21, 2020 at 10:43 AM.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm sure Disney is in this for the long haul but the rollout of Disney + has been a giant flop IMO. As an adult, there is nothing on Disney + that I want to watch since I finished Mandalorian. Now I'm sure I'm in a minority of people who buys basically every movie I enjoy so I'm certain many families are using Disney + to watch catalog titles where I would just pull it up from my library on Apple TV in higher quality. I haven't even launched the app in 2020 I don't think.

I just googled "new to Disney + may 2020" and what a yawner.

• Awesome Animals (S1)
      Birth of Europe (S1)
      Bride of Boogedy
      Buried Secrets of the Bible with Albert Lin (S1)
      CAR SOS (S1 – S7)
      Disney Kirby Buckets (S1-S3)
      George of the Jungle
      Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
      Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco
      How to Play Baseball
      In Beaver Valley
      Lost Treasures of Egypt (S1)
      Love & Vets (S1)
      Nature’s Half Acre
      Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
      Prairie Dog Manor (S1)
      Primal Survivor (S1-S4)
      The Princess Bride
      Prowlers of the Everglades
      Secrets of the Zoo
      Secrets of the Zoe: Tampa
      Survive the Tribe (S1)
      United States of Animals (S1)
      Unlikely Animal Friends (S3)
      Water Birds
      Prop Culture: Series Premiere
      John Carter
      Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian: Series Premiere
      Fury Files
      Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
      It’s a Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer: Series Premiere
      The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story
      Disney Just Roll With It (S1)
      Disney Mech-X4 (S1-2)
      Disney Vampirina (S2)
      Disneyland Goes to the World’s Fair
      Fantastic Mr. Fox
      Heartland Docs, DVM (S1)
      Hello, Dolly!
      Marvel’s Future Adventures (S2)
      The Big Fib: Series Premiere
      Disney Doc McStuffins (S5)
      Disney Gabby Duran & the Unsittables (S1)
      Disney The Evermoor Chronicles (S1-2)
      Mickey and the Seal
      The Moon-Spinners
      Violetta (S2)

If this was Cinemax, In Beaver Valley might appeal but its not. Not sure why the list I pulled that from bolded the titles they did.

I know COVID hit them with the timing of multiple new original series from the Marvel Universe and they couldn't have planned for that but I have to wonder what some of the internal metrics meetings are going. I'd love to be a fly on the wall. I'm too lazy to drop my subscription and I do catch my kids re-watching stuff like High School Musical so its fine, but yeesh what a lackluster service to date.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 10:51 AM
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I read that they are producing a series based on Asimov's Foundation books. That might make me subscribe for a while.

jasn and Max Yokell like this.
  3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

That would be great News David, would rather here someone is doing a Ring World Series but I take what I can get. ;)

CJ,
    I have a nephew that works on the Disney + team that designs their interface. I have had some discussions with him about some of their issues.

We agree that the biggest issue is that Disney Plus has tons of stuff that is undiscoverable. Meaning you can’t find it unless you know what you are looking for and do a search for it. The interface shows you some catagories and suggestion but there is lots of programming that just doesn’t show up there.

I told him that he should look at Huku which is also owned Disney and use it as an idea of what you never ever want D+ to look like. I told him not to copy or steal from Netflix but may get some inspiration from there.

They seem to know how bad it sucks but there is a ton of programs just gotta find it.

Barry_NJ and DYohn like this.
  4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Its sort of amazing that a mega media giant like Disney could get the interface so wrong. When it first launched there were tons of dupes and there were only like 100 items. Did they even test it?

Any way, my gripe is more about the dearth of new content that isn't budget produced wildlife stuff.

Max Yokell likes this.
  5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Yeah we are watching plenty of the catalog and the kids love it. Which I think was the intent. Disney doesn't have to invest in a constant flood of new content like Netflix when they have the kind of brand recognition and loyalty to the catalog, and it survives across generations.

6. DYohn

7. DYohn

Niven's Ringworld was optioned by Amazon and was in production three years ago but I have not seen any news about it, so maybe it never got off the ground.

8. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

I can still hold out hope.

DYohn likes this.
  9. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Tons of stuff is there, but you need to use the search feature to find it. The catalog of offers presented is a paltry snippet of what's available and even that isn't presented very well...

Max Yokell likes this.
  10. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I am re-reading this trilogy (third time at least) as a way to avoid the real world lately. I would love to see a production from these books. Same for the Robot set, although I think they made an absolute mess out of I Robot with (used to be better) Will Smith.

DYohn likes this.
  11. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

I signed up, watched Mandalorian, got irritated with ads on Hulu, disconnected the two so I could pay more to Hulu and get the ad free plan. I considered canceling D+ and just going with Hulu, but ended up keeping it. I think I watch more movies with the kids in the winter, in the summer they're basically outside in the afternoons / evenings. So I expect our use of D+ will go up in a few months. For now... yeah, maybe go through the Marvel back catalog with the younger kid who's into Captain America these days, maybe re-watch 4 5 6 (they're remastered / re-something right?) ... that's about it.