Disposal of old gas?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Denton, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I've discovered that my generator has 4-5 gallons of gas still in it from last year. The gas had Sta-bil added to it in the proper amount before putting it in the tank.

Should I:
    Drain it and take it to some undetermined hazardous waste center. Worry not and burn the stuff? Add more Sta-bil and hope that helps? Other suggestions?

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Drain it into a proper container and add it into your car's gas tank to burn it mixed with new gas.

3. Denton

I read that suggestion elsewhere. Hmmmm...

4. DYohn

I've done it before. Just add a little at a time to your tank after you fill up.

5. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Agreed. I've done this also.

6. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I do this too. In a couple of weeks (after hurricane season), I'll take what's left from my generator and put it in the car. Right now I'm having someone remove a bee hive from my 2nd story attic (probably about 30,000 of them).

Bees2.JPG

7. DYohn

Those look like honey bees, I hope you aren't having them killed...

Jack Keck likes this.
  8. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

For a second I thought you were asking about gas that you should simply be able to expel standing outside out of other people's ear shot!

I would rather run the lawn mower/tractor with that stabil gas.

9. Denton

The Prez has been doing that...

10. Phil A

No - it's illegal and yes they are. I had my pest control people out and they told me I needed the bee keeper (couldn't tell from the ground - had a hornets nest in hibiscus bushes a few months back and I took are of that and assumed it was another group of hornets). I don't have things killed at this point (actually took a baby water moccasin out of my pool area several months back and let it out into the woods) and if I get into a bar fight at this point, I just threaten to gum the other party to death. That usually does the trick:)

pillatier and DYohn like this.
  11. carlthess40

carlthess40 Member

Please don’t kill them. The planet needs them and they have been killed of way to much. If we lose the honey bees you can kiss all the plant life goodby.

12. pillatier

Did you get to keep the honey? I prefer local wild (bee produced) honey over store bought.

13. Phil A

No, did not get to keep the honey. I have local honey I get at Sam's Club, but it is pasteurized. I have the bee keeper's contact info and he is only several miles away so I'll probably try some of his raw honey at some point. I actually never saw honeycombs before. I've had several wasp/hornet nests I've taken down. It almost looked like yellow plastic. I got a close look at a small piece that was attached to the underside of one of the soffit pieces removed. I was told that the rest should dissipate in about a week. He used a low power shop vac (very mild suction) that went into a long hose in a box. He'd cut off a piece of honeycomb and vacuum the bees and then put the honeycomb into a bucket. He had a little coffee pot like thing with what looked like dry pine needles put into it and lit up that emitted smoke.

He moved some of the insulation in the attic via the opening in the upstairs bonus room and put a blanket in so they didn't move further back. When he came back up to get the blanket out a few came in from the attic. He moved them outside thru the sliding glass door and the rest went to the window. I took off the screen and let them out (was only about 7 or 8 bees).

14. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Had to do this two years ago. I was hoping it would be a free removal, but I got charged and the bee keeper got a new hive of bees too.

15. Phil A

Definitely not cheap but really no choice.

16. pillatier

Raw (unpasteurized) unfiltered local honey (it looks hazy) helps me with spring allergies. Theoretically it should not the pollen gets digested when eaten. Perhaps it's placebo effect.

17. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I like to eat raw honey still in the comb. Grocery used to have it but now you need to go to a health food store and it's very expensive.

18. Phil A

That's why I've heard. I don't have horrible allergies but I might give it a try. Now that I have a bee keeper's info.