Endgame

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Max Yokell, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

on the stones, did I miss something (I might go watch clips later, but not right now)? In GotG, Peter gets the purple stone from black emo dude with a big hammer and it almost destroys him, and his friends help him by holding hands (keep in mind peter is basically a god, though he can't wield his power). Before that the collector's slave lady blows herself up holding the stone, right? Thanos needed the gauntlet to wield the stones and presumably went through a number of models/designs on nidavellir to get something that would help him not die. In end game at least one avenger holds a stone. I get the power stone is the POWER stone, but aren't all stones super powerful and require a powerful being to wield? Then, Tony does some slight of hand to get the stones in an iron man gauntlet and has relatively no problem wielding them. Stark's super power is being rich.

Then there's the time travel "don't do anything but this or you'll break our timeline" then proceed to do a bunch of shit off-script.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

Yes, you are 100% correct regarding the stones. It's especially funny since they explicitly show Hulk was badly injured attempting to use the stones (and still injured at Tony's funeral (!!) presumably several days or weeks later). Stark's armor shouldn't have been able to handle 1 stone's power, let alone all 6. He should have been fried extra crispy. This is just one of many stupid things. Don't get me started on how in the living f*** Captain America goes back to 4 different timeline (by himself!) and returns all stones back where they were without being detected, then somehow magically decides to stay in the past (?) to live out his life and age...and reappears as an elderly man, somehow in the same timeline as everyone else (??!). There are things that you just have to accept in movies like this, but attempting to hand wave away large chunks of compounding nonsense is...insulting and lazy.

3. Drew

I feel like this movie was done by another direction/production crew. It just felt so wildly different than Infinity War and Ragnarok (Black Panther was also a mess).

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

also how do you return the soul stone?

5. Drew

I mean, it does give redskull something to do again.

Zak likes this.
  6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

ooof. The other spoiler comments are spot on. I had a great time at the theater and I'm a sucker for fan service. I didn't groan at all and I cried for the entire sequence from Tony's death to his funeral as did my daughter. As someone who just rewatched all previous 21 films I don't think saying he doesn't factor in is accurate at all. He has three solo movies and plays major roles in the prior Avengers films and a minor role in Spider-Man. It feels much more like the series revolves around him.

Any way, now that I'm about an hour post film, the time travel stuff has me the most frustrated. It feels like the ONLY reason they didn't do BTTF or Butterfly Effect version of time travel rules was that they didn't want to undo non-snap deaths. Once they made that decision its clear they were actually struggling with the rules. If 2014 Thanos traveled forward in time and died then Infinity War never happened. He never killed Vision. He said he has no idea who Scarlett Witch even is.

I don't know. I'm not at the level of the movie was bad but I need to see a compelling argument that the time travel makes ANY fucking sense, including Captain America not changing history by staying in the 40s and the fact that even if he had he wouldn't just appear on a bench in modern times. He'd be alive that entire time and the Avengers would have heard of him and he would have driven to the Stark cabin like a normal person. You don't just appear.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

So I finally got down to see it. Overall a bit long, could have been tightened up by a good 20 minutes or so. And while I've thought for years that using that particular plot device to win or fix a situation is a cheat I think they had no other way to do it., so it becomes a question of whether or not the method involved is plausible. Star Trek Voyager series finale comes to mind. And what have they got against hot redheads? In spite of this, I liked it and glad I went.

8. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Speaking of ST: Voyager

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  9. Randy Rhoton

One other thing, for a movie three hours long, it did not drag. It kept moving at a fast enough pace to keep interest and it flowed well.

Denton and Dennis Pagoulatos like this.
  10. Dennis Pagoulatos

My favorite movie related youtube channel by far :)

11. Randy Rhoton

An additional thought, I hope they were able to let Stan Lee see the final release before he died.

Denton likes this.
  12. Dennis Pagoulatos

Good article on how they failed the Hulk (spoilers at link---beware!) but it also briefly touches on general narrative failings and unearned emotional payoffs but much more coherently than I ever could! :)
    Avengers: Endgame failed the Incredible Hulk