Home Improvement

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Mike B, May 13, 2012.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Yeah that's cool! The stainless tank will never rust. The boiler should last 30 years.

2. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

At 102 I should be good. :tonguewink:

Jack and Carl V like this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

:beercheers:Here’s to a long life.

Jack likes this.
  4. Mike B

New workbench. The one I have all my reloading stuff on as well as the big vise in the garage is a piece of shit low buck lumber kit I bought at HD soon after we moved here. The weak lower shelf broke and still sags. But no more!

49120052912_73559c3143_o.jpg

Solid redwood. 3/4 inch birch plywood to be added with double layer on top. Yeah Baby!

pillatier and Carl V like this.
  5. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Nice, that sum'bitch is gonna be heavy!

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Sturdy! :thumbsup:

Denton likes this.
  7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Sturdy is an understatement, which all of us fully expect from you Mike.:thumbsup:

That said... :smilingimp: What kind of screws are you using? I love how you staggered them from both sides to avoid interference, but my first thought was thinking lag bolts would be stronger still? If you stressed the legs tortionally (actually from side/side) those screws see all the load, yes?

Yes, yes, I'm "poking the snake". This bench will be "Beast". Just having some fun with Mike and his solid engineering skills. :)

8. Mike B

Well I did consider half inch carriage bolts...

Used 3.5 inch #8 torx drive deck screws and glue. About 3/4 bottle (pint) of Titebond. 1.5 inch screws plus glue for the plywood here;

49175818721_fdc1b6a3fc_o.jpg

The cart you see below is for the 300 lbs of bullets to reside in. I put casters on the bottom to make it easy to move out from under the bench. Top is laminated half inch ply over the 3/4" base. Next up I'll wipe on a couple of coats of poly while I unload and dismantle the old bench. Should make good kindling for the fireplace - :smile:

jasn and Denton like this.
  9. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

10. Mike B

Installed in it's new home with 2 coats of poly;

49207150961_ccc23d2942_o.jpg

It's right under the stereo which is good! And that cart which is 2x2 feet is full of bullets, must weigh 300 pounds.

49207151001_3004cac890_o.jpg

That space between the workbench and the bin rack is for this generator. Now that we have the planned (fire safety) power outages it should come in handy.

49207151011_dfa4854f3f_o.jpg

I have an electrician hired to install a transfer switch.

11. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

woohoo!
    way to go
    happy holidays
    ....what speakers are in the garage?
    the Aidre 10.1?

12. John Celardo

Great workbench Mike. I built a similar design workbench about 30 years ago, and it's still a great work space.

I have a dual fuel generator also, and i have a 30 and three 20 lb propane tanks. I prefer storing propane than a load of gas in the garage. We had a transfer switch installed, and the last time the power went down it lit up the whole house. I bought one of these which keeps the generator dry in stormy weather and avoids electrical shocks.

13. Mike B

Thanks!

Cool. Yeah why have a generator (gas) that is guaranteed to gum it's carb and refuse to start when (once a year maybe) you need it? I'm gonna remove the gas tank and bolt 3/4" plywood where it was and store the propane tanks there. Gonna get (2) 30 lb tanks just for the generator.

14. John Celardo

We had a blackout about a year ago that lasted most of a day. I used less than half of the 30, not bad. The only shortcoming is that the tanks can't be refilled after 7 years (I think). I had a 20 that the refill place filled, but the guy said it's expired so no more refills.

15. Mike B

Yeah. I had to get my (2) 20 lb CO2 tanks re-certified and it wasn't cheap, need to get hydo-tested whatever that is but computers and pressure curves are involved. But they are a lot more expensive than propane tanks and the stuff that would spoil in the fridge is worth more than the tank is.

The propane thing is huge though. I just replaced another carb on a motorcycle so I could sell it because it sat too long and wouldn't start. And before that I had to get another one towed to the shop and fixed as there was no way I was going to try 4 carbs. That cost $700. Fucking carburetors suck. Never had a problem with FI bikes, they can sit all winter and fire right up in the spring.

Propane rocks! Doesn't foul spark plugs, makes it own pressure and leaves no residue.