How does unemployment insurance work?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by pillatier, Aug 1, 2020 at 1:36 PM.

1. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

I understand the part that when/if someone gets laid off they apply and get it. But when does it stop? When the recipient informs the unemployment office that he/she found an acceptable job of equal or better pay?

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

In our State, it lasts 26 weeks or the person gets a new job with similar compensation.
    Claud Whitener
    NC Employment Security
    Appeals Judge

Max Yokell and DYohn like this.
  3. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

So continuing to get the insurance is a honor system? For example, in NC since it lasts nearly 5.75 months theoretically one can wait about 5 months before even starting the job hunt? Pretty sweet if one's skill is somewhat in demand.

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The only time I was on unemployment was many years ago in California, and in order to continue benefits I had to check in every week to certify I was looking for a job and could not find one. I was on it for less than a month.

5. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I was on 3 times and that was before the internet. You had to show up in person and fill out your claim. Then every 2 weeks you have to fill out and return (by mail) your questionaire where it asked if you worked (if so how much did you make), if you looked for work, if any work was offered, yeah all the usual. If you didn't get any work in 2 months you had to go back for another in person meeting where they would hone your job finding skills.

I never had to go to the second meeting.

6. claud

You did have to look for work before Covid and file a weekly claim on line.

7. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

Thanks for the clarification Claud.

The reason for my question was to seek validity to the claim that the extra $600 unemployment benefit is disincentive to look for work. Now it seems the claim is somewhat disingenuous. I am not questioning whether the $600 is too much or appropriate.

8. claud

We are just a distributor for the Federal largess. (the $600/wk) The $600 is many times what we normally pay per week on average.

9. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

If I remember correct, I used to get $320 every 2 weeks. But that was 35 years ago.