How masks work

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by CJ, Jul 13, 2020.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

"Thin the herd by November third"

Barry_NJ likes this.
  2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Trump legitimately tweeted and then held a press conference where he doubled down on delaying the election. He stopped just short of saying he will not accept the results unless he wins.

3. DYohn

Too bad he has no authority to do either thing. The military will take him and his paid goons out if they have to.

4. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Stirring the pot. What’s new?

5. CJ

Don't act like this is normal, same old same old politics. It is NOT!

DYohn likes this.
  6. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's either distracting from something else that's about to break, or it's a trial balloon. I feel it's the latter. Of course McConnell and everyone comes out and says "no way". Then give it a few days before Tucker Carlson says "but what if...". Then more people start talking about it. And then one day you turn around and it's a normalized idea.

Once upon a time I would have said no way that can happen, not in this country.

7. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Those were the days before Trump. The days when America mattered.
    Now only Trump matters.

8. DYohn

Steven Calabresi, arch-conservative co-founder of the Federalist Society and professor at Northwestern University’s Pritzker School of Law wrote an oped in the NYTimes this afternoon calling Trump's tweet threat to postpone the election "fascist" and imploring Congress to immediately re-impeach and remove him from office before he can try to follow through on the threat. Another indication that he is losing all but the most cultish of his base.

9. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Hopefully they will all go to their closest rally and tell their friends!

10. CJ

Hopefully enough realize its way too late and hold accountable all those who refused to hold Trump accountable. This isn't just Trump. Its McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, people like William Barr.

jasn and DYohn like this.
  11. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

Charles Wilson CEO of GM once said in a Congressional hearing "....I cannot conceive of one because for years I thought what was good for our country was good for General Motors, and vice versa...."

Trump thinks the same of himself. Earlier in the week during Corona Virus update he complained that Drs. Fauchi and Brix are more popular than him.

12. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

So I run a commercial ventilation design and installation company, a family business that I took over a few years back. My office area is probably only about 1600 square feet, and adequately ventilated (that is what we do). I would say that less than 1% of workers are wearing masks on construction sites. We have masks including N95 masks available for use, the demand is very very low. On sites workers are supposed to wear a mask when 6 foot separation is not possible. I would say this does happen in the extremely obvious situations, but sites now do not look that different than sites before covid.

The issue we have created here (and CJ and Dave are welcome to comment) is construction was never stopped here even when the rest of the economy was closed. At that time masks were not even suggested by the federal government, so these guys went to work every day thru the worst of it without masks, and now we have literally zero covid in our province for about 2 weeks..... they just are not going to start wearing mask now unless they are forced. The government clearly excluded sites from the order so as not to force them and likely risk labor disruption (that is just my opinion).

Also my office does not serve the general public, so we are not required to have a masks on at work, if I sell direct to the public I would have to have a mask policy. If my office was in a multi tenant office building I would be required to wear a mask in all common spaces.

So basically as a company we are not required to wear masks. Pics below are of my current face covering, at the moment this is considered acceptable. I always have it with me, and only wear it when I am absolutely required to do so. This is what the majority of people are doing here. Anything could change at any time of course.

Attached Files:

13. CJ

I would suspect "close contact" isn't being consistently achieved in this kind of work (which is good). Remember that close contact has been defined (one of the few things that hasn't changed) as less than 6 feet for 15 minutes or greater.

14. DYohn

I've been project managing a large construction site since March here in Arizona and our rules are all-hands daily temperature check upon arrival on site (and a daily changed color code sticker on your required ID badge that shows you are OK) and masks-on when inside any building spaces or outside when social distancing is impossible. Everyone has been really good about it. I did lose an entire subcontractor responsible for installing fire sprinklers for a month after one of them tested positive, and one of my HVAC contractors installing a large acid scrubbing exhaust system is out right now because of several positive tests. But we believe they did not pick it up on the site.

The project was supposed to complete this month but because of all the Covid related delays both with people and supply chain, looks like November is my new best case.

15. Chris Slade

Yeah, you guys are stricter for sure. I don't think temperature checks are being done anywhere in my province. I was tested once when I went into a long term care facility (that had a case) right in the middle of it all. But that was a bit of an extreme situation. It just never got to where you guys are here. I am not aware of any cases of covid on any construction site here to date. It could easily happen and honestly I am surprised that it hasn't.

DYohn likes this.
  16. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

Rats and sinking ship!? Trying to reclaim and retain some credibility and dignity as a faculty member? I wonder if Trump's poll numbers were higher if he would have made the argument for delay.

17. Chris Slade

CJ up here "close contact" is not a thing. I get it, and assume it is part of what defines measures taken in your area. We don't have it. WE have physical distancing of two meters.

18. CJ

We're talking about two different things. Social distancing is a safety protocol to avoid contracting COVID. Close contact is one of the risk factors for contracting COVID. Social distancing is one solution for avoiding close contact.

19. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

I see the misunderstanding. Nobody down here knows what the fuck a meter is.

Carl V likes this.
  20. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

It’s a critical element in poetry.

DustinDavis likes this.