HT refresh

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Saurav, Nov 10, 2019.

1. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

I'm still sticking with my Sony Beta... And that cost a pretty penny in it's day!!! Now excuse, I'm going to go grab two Walkman AM's, and hold them up to each ear for a walk - poor man's portable stereo...

I do use Roku 4K, network connected, for streaming at the Sticks & Bricks. Roku Sticks via WiFi on other TV's throughout the house. In our coach, I use Roku, also networked (But that is fed via Nighthawk MiFi, with MIMO 4X4 rooftop antennas.). All sound is routed thru Marantz AVR (NRxxxx(Can't recall the number... Cabinet space was very tight, and it was the best sound reproduction AVR I could find at that time. But, was missing BluTooth, so add BluME HD for quick access to streaming Pandora, Spotify, etc. The only exception to sound source DAC, is I do still use a Oppo BDP95 with Darbee - but admit it's rare occasions that we dig out either a BluRay movie, more often on a Friday night we'll crank a BluRay concert over a BluRay movie... Remotes are my downfall, we have a used U-haul trailer to carry the various remotes behind us in the RV:)!

Enjoying this thread, and following, as just might be time for some updates at the Sticks & Bricks home. Our Cary Cinema 11 has become sick, and not sure investing ~$750 in repairs is warranted...

Also cool that it's not my plastic card melting while your upgrade is going on:)!

Best of luck to you,
    Smitty

2. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Well my upgrade so far hasn't been very card-meltey.
    • Best Buy was getting rid of last year's Onkyo receivers, so I got a $400 4K/7.2ch something for $250, picked up one of the last 3 at a local store.
    • The Roku non-stick version (Ultra? Ultimate? Choice? Prime? whatever it's called) will be half off on Black Friday, so I'll likely order that online.
    • I'm hoping the Echo Studio will be somewhat on sale, I think I want one of those as well.
    Those are pretty much decided. What I'm less sure about:
    • For the PJ, I think I want the Epson 5050, but I'm not seeing any discussions of BF deals for that. This will be the only item that's 4 digits.
    • And I can't decide if I want the new Harmony that's basically Alexa-based voice control with very few actual buttons, or the older hub-based models with all the buttons.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

Go with hard buttons for the remote....

4. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Bought the Harmony Elite (~$150 off for BF), Epson 5050 ($300 off), and Roku Ultra (1/2 off). Then while dusting off my basement, I found the box for my current Roku, and discovered I have the 2017 Ultra, which actually can do 4K HDR. So then I canceled the Roku part of my Amazon order :)

So once I get the new PJ, I should have everything in place for 4K. I guess that's when I'll find out if I need new HDMI cables.

Carl V and Denton like this.
  5. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Woohoo
    Party at Saurav’s
    Binge watch in order, the directors cut of LOTR
    or the Complete Star Wars episodes and spin offs.
    Or the entire fast and furious franchise.

bring your own potent potables and huffable puffables ;)

denton will bring the organic sauerkraut, to take care of our biome

Denton and pillatier like this.
  6. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

The minute Roku Premiere is amazing. I've been watching Jack Ryan on Amazon and the audio and video quality over WiFi are just about DVD quality to my eye and ear. Last night I watched it through the projector, wow! Great $30 investment.

7. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Cool. I'm waiting for the 4K PJ to show up so I can try out some 4K content with my Roku (which apparently could play 4K all along, I just had no idea).

8. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Isn't that a good surprise indeed.

9. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Not me, you can pry my Oppo BDP-95 from my cold dead hands, despite my TV having Netflix (and god knows what else).
    It's like with cars, there is no replacement for displacement.

10. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Me too Mikael. I have a BDP-83 that I use more than the Roku streamer. I got the Roku when Netflix emailed that my old Roku wasn't supported anymore, and Amazon Prime didn't work. I do like the new Roku though.