I’m amazed by how good iPhone (or any modern phone) pictures can be

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Chris Smith, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Took this picture today

Unedited:
    ECE986F9-8819-4E77-8488-B3D2BA53756C.jpeg

Instagram Edited (cropped 1st then

square)
    A73FDD40-6271-408F-B17E-E979B659BDD7.jpeg E28FF7D1-4A7B-4FC7-AEBC-5316363DBFF0.jpeg

I have a Canon 70D I rarely pull out because it’s so heavy (and I just don’t have time!) Just trying to figure out now if I should take it on my next vacation to Europe, or try an entire trip with just the phone (obviously macro/close up vs landscape are a lot different)

Also been looking at getting a mirrorless (Sony a6000 or something else similar price) just for travel but not sure I want to drop another $4-600 on a camera when I don’t know how much I’ll use it.

2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I'm more or less in the same boat. I usually buy a point and shoot (I want to go higher end but don't know how much use I'd get out of it) every 5 years or so (due). I went to the recent Florida Audio Expo and while I took most of the pictures on the point and shoot, the few I took on my iPhone 7+ impressed me. So I've put some things in my Amazon wish list both in the point and shoot category and a bit higher end. When I'm closer to being ready (whether that is a few months from now or a bit longer), I'll take a plunge.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Agree, given decent lighting conditions they can be very good for general candid photography and given a little knowledge even for some creative/artistic photography.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member Top Poster

I've been impressed with my iPhoneX camera but I have to say the Huawei P20's camera is outstanding...esp in low light conditions and I'm always jealous of its camera when I'm shooting the same shot side by side with my X.