I played my first round of golf in 15 years.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by CJ, Jul 26, 2020.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I mentioned in another thread that I was getting back into golf. When I was cleaning out my golf bag I found a scorecard from my last round and my wife believes its from 2004 or 2005 based on the course and who I played with. I haven't played since then.

Yesterday I took my three girls and we all went and played a nearby Par 3 course. I had a blast. I shot a 16 over 43 on 9 holes on a par three... but I was thrilled. I really didn't have any of those shots that make a person want to quit the game. No wild slices or shots that inexplicably go 90 degrees off course, and I counted every stroke. Granted I didn't have to play my full bag.

I started out pulling two shots out of bounds off property on the first hole but it got significantly better from there. I took my penalty and re-teed off each time which actually hurt my score. By rule I should have dropped where the ball went out of bounds and taken my penalty and continue from there. Play was extremely slow as my younger two really struggled. Pace hurt my game a bit and I haven't spent any time on the putting green this year, all hitting at the range. I feel like I could easily drop another 5-6 strokes just playing at a better pace and working on my putting. My approach game was actually not bad at all. Too many three putts on small, relatively flat greens. All pace issues.

At one point I bogied four holes in a row. Not exactly amazing golf but I'd take a full round of bogies most days. I need to get rid of the sixes and sevens which could turn into eights and nines on a full length course.

Kenny Stultz and Drew like this.
  2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

This is really important if you are going to start maintaining a handicap. For most of us, they key to reducing it isn’t making pars. It’s not making triples, or doubles as you improve. Play from the tees befitting your skill. Club down. Don’t go for the shot you can barely get over the water. Play safely out of trouble, then continue from the fairway. Etc.

3. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Donor Top Poster

My game fluctuates about 8 strokes or so. 77 one week and 85 the next. It can get frustrating.
    Keep it up CJ. Golf is one of those thing you can do well into old age and still enjoy the outdoors and competition.

CJ likes this.
  4. CJ

The other thing I'll say is that playing the Par 3 course gave me a ton of confidence moving forward. My "drives" were really quite good and would translate to an approach shot on a full length course. My putting needs the most work. I'd rank my play Saturday as mid-short range shots being the best (i.e. if I mis-hit my first and had to come in from 30 yards down to a chip), first shots would be second best, and putting was the worst.

5. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Donor Top Poster

The putting is tough because it changes on each course depending on the greens. The other shots remain pretty constant.

Denton likes this.
  6. CJ

I went back yesterday afternoon and shot a 35. Three pars, one 5 and the rest all bogies.

Mike and Denton like this.