Informative article on tankless water heater

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by pillatier, Oct 22, 2018.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I saw a short comparison of water heating systems in the latest Consumer Reports. As memory serves me, the only downside to the tankless systems was the high initial cost that stretched the payback period.

3. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm sticking with the 40 gallon tank. Costs me a whole $10/mo to heat water. That's 33 cents a day.

4. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Tankless was one of the options we looked at when ours bit the dust last week. The plumber explained that it had to be vented through the basement wall, still requires a fuel source, electric or gas, and has to be serviced every year to preserve the heating elements. The indirect system we chose works off our seven-year-old high efficiency gas fired heating boiler, needs no venting, is maintenance free, and doesn't need a fuel source. Up front, indirect is less expensive than tankless, but more than double the cost of the old tank type. On This Old House, Richard installed a heat pump water heater that looked interesting, but I imagine they're pretty expensive.

5. pillatier

That makes sense because you seem to have circulating hot water heating/cooling. The tankless would make sense for those of us with forced air systems. The heat pump water heaters I think start about $1200.00. I looked into them 3 years ago when I replaced the water heater. it did not make sense to me, the water heater in my house sits in the basement in the center of the house. Why should I want to pull heat from inside the house to heat the water and then have to put back the heat with the heater during the winter? Mounting in the garage that does not get below freezing will probably make sense though like they did in TOH.

6. pillatier

If it is electric then makes even more sense with your solar.

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

No, it's gas like the furnace. But I don't use much gas. Ten bucks a month when the furnace isn't running and my gas bill for the last 12 months total was $287.

8. pillatier

I looked at my gas bill it's about $25.00/month during the summer months. The gas part is about $12.00 the rest is one fee or the other.

9. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Tankless water heaters are great for new home construction, especially if they are gas fired. If I were building a home and NG service was available I absolutely would get them.

For remodeling an existing electric home I would probably stick with electric. Plumbing new gas lines and installing the required vents for each unit thru an existing all-electric house could be VERY expensive, especially if it was multi-story.

For an existing home with gas service it might be worthwhile.

10. pillatier

One way to save money on regular tank electric water heater is to put a timer on it. Works very well unless hot water is needed all day. My first home had a 70 gallon electric water heater. I put a timer on it to heat the water once in the morning and once in the evening. I think I set the water temp slightly higher then usual. The timer looked like this. I wish I could do something similar on gas water heater.

61Uk7EOKUeL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018