KEF LS50W issues

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Chris Slade, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

So these speakers that I love the performance of are back in the boxes in and my truck to go back to the dealer today, no idea how that will go.

They simply will no longer connect to my wifi network, they stopped a couple weeks back and I dug into it last night. They network is solid Orbi mesh networking stuff. Monitored the network logged into the Orbi. Every single device in the house connects to the network without issue. Phones, ipads, gaming systems, iMac. Everything works.

You turn on the KEFs and if you are on the wifi input, the wifi icon blinks for a few seconds while connecting then you are good to go. It never stops blinking. I did two factory resets and went through the new set-up protocol twice, but it fails at network connection. Then I downloaded the firmware update tool, moved to the speaker to a new room just feet away from an Orbi, still would not connect. And the speakers need to be on the wifi network to update the firmware. So basically when you start the KEFs they cast a signal, which my phone picks up and connects to which start the set up process, then step 8 of the process is dropping the KEFs onto my network and it fails there every time. There have been no network changes and as I said everything else is fine. Kef recommends 5Ghz connection, all the device in my house are connected at 5Ghz. I just have no idea what the problem could be.

2. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Did you power cycle your router wifi? I have something similar happen on my wifi network with tmobile iPhones 7s only. Odd as hell and these are commercial access points.

3. Chris Slade

Yeap did everything. I am not a network guy, but I feel I have pretty much eliminated my network from being the issue.

4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Yeah, hopefully they get it sorted. With mass manufacturing there's always a chance of getting a bum unit.

5. JeffC

I guess the radio in the speakers could have gone bad. If all else fails and the return goes horrible you can go with a wireless bridge. Bummer.

6. Chris Slade

I think the worst is they might want to send them in for service. Either that or a refund or the damn store will be burnt down, there really are no other options.

7. Chris Slade

I spoke with the dealer yesterday, it was useless they said call KEF. Calling KEF is well documented on the internet as not being useful.
    I fought with the speakers all night last night even moving an Orbi satellite to within inches of the speakers. I reset the speakers, reinstalled the app and did the whole process at least 20 times. On about try 11 I got the speakers on the network and they stayed connected for 12 minutes. The next time they we on for probably an hour. This morning they would not connect. I am just not going to waste anymore time with these. I will list the speakers for sale this weekend.

I went thru the network with a fine toothed comb, read everything there is to read, everything else in the house connects flawlessly, these speakers just won't. I tried on all three floors of the house. They sound amazing they really do, but the just don't do what they are supposed to do.

8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I dunno Chris. I just Googled your speaks for wireless issues and not a lot came up. Call KEF. How bad can they be? Maybe bring them to a friends house and see if they connect there?

9. JeffC

If you really like the speakers you might just try a common access point. Something like a asus/tlink/linksys.

10. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm with Jim. It seems like you liked these speakers and are just like "fuck it, I give up" now. A manufacturer really shouldn't be able to just say "dunno, not our problem".

11. Chris Slade

I do really like the speakers. Just got home from work and turned them on again, will not connect. The speakers simply do not do what they are supposed to do. So yeah that means I am not into them anymore. I bought the product for this specific use, and it sucks at that use, so they are not a fit for me. If the network was spotty and other devices had issues then I would be more tolerant, but everything else works just fine. This chromebook is father away from an access point and it is working with zero issues. I think it is reasonable to expect that these speakers work as they are supposed to. I don't need things like speakers that I am supposed to enjoy being a frustration or a hassle, the point of them is pretty much the opposite of that.

The internet is littered with posts on this, people on their second and third sets of speakers (from more responsive dealers). I had hoped that most of the issues were from early production units and that it would be all cleared up by now, but it isn't.

12. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I think Jeff has a good idea worth giving it a try also, just to rule out that possibility. Did you check other forums like the AVS? But don't just give up Chris. Email KEF support. If no joy there, push it up the chain to KEF HQ.

13. RJ

RJ Member

I don't have an Orbi. Are you sure it doesn't have an 802.11ac only mode? It looks like the Kefs only do 802.11n. 802.11ac should be backward compatible, but maybe there is a setting to only do 802.11ac in the settings.

I'd also try forcing 2.4ghz only just to see if it does the same thing.

jasn likes this.
  14. Chris Slade

When it does connect it is 2.4ghz. The only other divices in the house that do that are my wife’s phone and our garage door opener.

15. RJ

RJ Member

I would guess it has something to do with channel width. I believe 802.11ac does a wider channel width than 802.11n can. I'd check your Orbi settings and look at the channel width and channel bonding settings.

16. JeffC

Is everything on the current firmware? If you want, post the exact model of the orbi and speakers and I'll check out the manuals and see if anything jumps out.

17. Chris Slade

Everything is current firmware except the speakers.

Yesterday I spent $118 and things are working mostly. I bought a d-link wifi extender that just goes in a wall socket. That was a bit of a pain because it changes the name of the extended network. Anyway I turned off basically all of its wifi abilities. Plugged into the power bar that runs the speakers and ran a network cable to the speaker. It worked but was a real pain. The speakers are not meant to have the initial install done that way. Exact correct timing on plugging and unplugging the network cable during the install was required. The speakers don’t broadcast their initial wifi signal to connect to the app before they are on the network if a network cable is installed.

Bottom lines is they flat out do not work as they should, but they do work perfectly like this. I am unsure if I can update the firmware in this set-up.

My network and connection are running very well. Basically a consistent 400Mbps up and down on my wifi devices. Including right next to the speakers.

Positive note when I started digging into the Orbi setup I found out Disney Circle functionality has been added. I didn’t turn it on, but it is there if I need/want it.

I am still beyond pissed off with the whole thing.