KEF LS50W speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Chris Slade, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I am almost positive that I am building speakers to build a digital 2 channel system around...... so I need to buy everything.

The KEF LS50W is the whole system in one package, minus a sub if needed. These extend down to the mid 40Hz range. 3K Canadian for a pair, but it is literally everything.... I would make my own stands.

Has anyone heard these or the non wireless version. They are raved about online, but I have never heard a KEF speaker.

LS50 Wireless

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Haven't heard them but really want to. Literally the only bad thing I've ever heard about them is that they're too popular and now too mainstream. Everyone on the bigger audio boards LOVES these speakers.

3. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

@Graeme uses or used to use KEF

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Nice speakers and well thought out and integrated.
    Heard at Shows.

5. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I know someone who has the non-powered version and they are excellent (and he uses Wilson Sasha speakers as mains and will sometimes uses the KEFs). I can only imagine they are excellent.

6. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The Ls50 uses a 2-way concentric design and has recieved countless accolades for their looks and sound for several years. If you are interested in these non-wireless you could even find them used for a good price. An even better bargain using the same driver design might be the Elac Uni-fi series. Both have gobs of info on the web. The base model Uni-Fi uses a vinyl - clad enclosure, but are also available in higher quality finish.

Full disclosure...I own the Elac Uf5 towers (in vinyl) and am very happy.

Do your homework on them both, however. The Elac are 4 ohm and not as efficient. They also just released a "wireless" version too.

7. Carl V

The tie breaker aspect of LS 50 W is powered, subwoofer XO, adc and dac, WiFi. Tidal ,Roon placement tuning, etc., in a nice pkg.

8. Chris Slade

I think the only direct competition for these speakers is the Dynaudio new all digital system, which I have not researched.

I have read up on the elac speakers a ton, but what I wanted from the beginning was the whole system inside the speakers. I think I mentioned that in a post a while back, David made some comments and maybe Karl about battery powered speakers. I don’t want a gear rack anymore. I am sure the elac are great, and if I didn’t want powered I don’t even think I am looking at Kef either.

At this point in Time KEF and Dynaudio seem to offer I think exactly what I am looking for.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    jasn likes this.
  9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

I was at a local hi-fi dealer about a month ago and they had a pair of these on display. I didn't have a chance to listen to them, but some random guy in the store (a customer, not a salesperson) saw me checking them out and said, "These are the best speakers I've ever heard," or something to take effect. Maybe some time I'll go back to the store and give them a listen just to see what a $1,000+ pair of Bluetooth speakers will get you.

10. Carl V

Last I checked the KEF LS50w are ariund$ 2,600.00

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

12. Carl V

Better than I thought. Nicecall in one /two system. Amps, dsp, dac-adc, Roon end pint, blue tooth etc

13. Chris Slade

In Canada amazon.ca costs twice as much as Kefstore.ca

14. Chris Slade

I know people like them, but I would be surprised if they are the best I have ever heard, and my listening to true high end gear is pretty limited.

15. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

Technically, more than $2,000 is in the $1,000+ range, right?
    Probably. That store also has a pair of the KEF Blade speakers for sale. I've heard those, and they are certainly some of the most amazing speakers I've ever heard. I can't imagine the LS50W sounds better at all.

16. Carl V

Perhaps. But you have already entered into observational bias. And expectation bias. Two difficult point of view to reconcile.

17. CJ

Well, to be fair, it really depends on what you've heard. When you've been to an audio show and heard a $200,000 system... duh. But they might literally be the the best speakers you can just order up from Amazon.

18. Chris Slade

I agree CJ, that was my point many of you guys have heard way more expensive (maybe better gear) that I have. Totem Winds may be the best speakers I have ever listened two, or Totem model. Something at that level.
    I have not doubt the speakers would do the job in terms of sound. The complaints I see are all around the remote, the app, and general connectivity. It seems the best solution might be these speakers and some sort of sling device like an airport express or similar using a wired connection to the speaker. Kind of defeats the purpose a bit I think. Also I have an IMac at home, Ipads, IPhone (wife) and a Samsung Android phone for me. So it may take some proper planning to implement something that would just for lack of a better word, "work" simply and easily.

19. Chris Slade

So if that is the case, maybe I should consider non powered, sling to a stereo amp and drive the speakers in the standard way.

20. CJ

Well, if you want a more flexible setup, get the passive versions rather than the active and then using a different source. That would be my take. BUT if you google, it seems like you'll be hard pressed to get a source and an integrated that will do anywhere near as well as the active version for the price difference.