KEF LS50W speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Chris Slade, Jun 1, 2018.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

2. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

There is one dealer mentioned in my province, I will stop in. I have been there many times, never noticed any KEF.

DYohn likes this.
  3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

Coincidentally enough, I saw a link to a podcast called Beginner Audiophile yesterday in which the two hosts talk briefly about these speakers toward the beginning of the show. They don’t do a formal review (they want to break them in a bit more first), but they do offer some initial impressions, all of which are stellar.

These guys have never been fans of active monitors, but these are supposedly good enough to change their minds.

Here's a link to the episode in case you’re interested: 25: Bookshelves + Sub VS. Tower Speakers, and KEF LS50 Wireless First Impressions — beginner audiophile | hifi | gear reviews | stereo | hi-end audio — Overcast

They also discuss whether it’s better to use tower speakers or a pair of bookshelf monitors with a sub for a 2-channel system. They do a shootout with some SVS speakers and sub with interesting results. It’s a fun listen if you have the time for it.

5. Chris Slade

I will listen tonight.

Just got a text back from a contact from the local shop, I can’t believe it but they have ls50w set up for auditioning in the shop. Will check them out by the weekend for sure.

6. Chris Slade

Hmmmm. You heard it hear first, active speakers are going to take over.

7. Chris Slade

Steve G. The audiophilac says no.... but I think I have him on this one.

Denton likes this.
  8. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Let your heart, er, ears be your guide.

9. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Follow the force luke

10. Chris Slade

Jeff I tried listening to that file..... too much talking too little saying anything. I realize I probably didn't give them long enough.

11. Chris Slade

I just followed Phil's link and did a little reading there. That is kind of what I am referring to. The speakers seem to becoming more than just transducers now, or transducers and a crossover in a box (or not in a box I guess). It almost feels like we now have, analog, digital, and this new version of things that seems to be developing. Maybe another way to say it is that the speaker, crossover, DAC, amp and maybe some DSP are all becoming one component. Or am I crazy in thinking this is what is going to happen as we move forward?

12. DYohn

That's already happening Chris. Look at all the Bluetooth and distributed systems on the market, This is simply taking that idea to higher-quality reproduction. The question is if this trend will become the norm or just another permutation in the diverse world of audio.

13. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I listened to it this morning. It was OK. They do have some issues with kind of not communicating clearly so they go back and forth a lot which I guess is fine, its kind of conversational. They did get some minor technical things blatantly incorrect by my estimation and some other times it was just imprecise language.

They did make the case that this is the way forward in their opinion. Obviously Audio review is prone to hyperbole but I think in this case they weren't far off. They said you would need 10s of thousands of dollars to top this system in separate components. That might be a bit much but $10K probably isn't far off. So the passive version of this speaker is $1300. For $800 there is no way you could assemble a front-end that accomplishes what they've done here. NO WAY. I would say you could probably spend $5k minimum. Now if you need more flexibility you're kind of SOL. The Wireless KEFs support streaming from a couple services and then ONE analog input that goes through an ADC conversion. But if you are 100% streaming + a turntable or something similar you are golden.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  14. DYohn

I say the KEF approach (which actually began with Meridian and B&O many years ago) is just another flavor of the day. I hear complaints already about self-powered systems that they require electrical outlets to be in the perfect location or running ugly extension cords around the house (ignoring that standard systems require running ugly speaker wire around the house) and that upgrade possibilities are severely limited and that BT audio quality sucks ass. But others love this approach, especially the Bose Wave Radio type system all in one box, like the Klipsch "The One." Will it last? Yes, like everything else does. Will it take over the market? I don't think it will, and indeed I hope not.

15. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

aptX is allegedly quite good. BT audio DID suck. Some people are slow to come around.

16. DYohn

aptX. Was not aware, thank you.

17. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

You're welcome! Glad you liked the show!

18. Chris Slade

Yeap aptX is supposed to be sweet, but I have no experience with it. Dave of course is correct with the Meridian comment, and CJ's comments of cost of an equivalent system make sense too. That is what I was planning originally, but it looks like the numbers just point to letting KEF do it all.

As for flavor of the day, I am not so sure there. Things have changed a bit between when Meridian was doing this and now, we'll see. If this KEF model is a good seller, I can't see other speaker makers not getting on the band wagon. Power cords are an issue for sure, but nothing I can't solve. Seems like a small issue compared to the elimination of the rack of gear these replace. The more annoying wire to me is the wire between the two speakers, not the power cord. Again solvable... I have no problem cutting drywall if that is what it takes, I've got holes all over the house now. Just waiting until I am done cutting to get it all repaired and painted in one shot.

19. Chris Slade

I forgot the reason I even started posting. An employee does security and audio wiring on the side. His wholesaler sells KEF, so I made be able to get these at a pretty decent price, just waiting to find out.

DYohn likes this.
  20. Chris Slade

My work connections no longer have access to KEF. So it is a full retail purchase for me. I am comfortable with that. The only nagging thing with having the electronics all in the speakers is future models with improved features that I might not have access to. I guess this is true of all electronics purchases. Up until now I didn't really think of speakers (passive) in that way. If I had speakers I liked, I almost felt like they didn't age, and the front end would just change as required. I can't really think about this purchase that way.