Looking for a fantasy or general fiction series recommendation

Discussion in 'Books' started by CJ, Nov 28, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I've always enjoyed series... from a young age reading CS Lewis's Narnia series and the RedWall series by Brian Jacques. I like well-written series when I can follow characters over long periods of time or even generations as in the examples given. I don't like super dense, describe the color of the spot of rust on the hilt of the sword which by the way, the sword was passed down through 18 pages of back story before we move on. Its one of the reasons I've never read The Lord of the Rings books or the GRRM books, I'm not sure I have the attention span.

Not sure this falls into the same bucket as to why I didn't enjoy them but I could never get into the Wheel of Time books, I read the first one and part of the second one and gave up as a teen. In college I started the first one again and never finished. I also read Terry Brook's Magic Kingdom for sale series but could never get into his much more popular Shanara series.

I'm fine reading YA if its well written. Not sure if you'd classify Harry Potter as YA or at least not by the end. I'm not ashamed to admit those may be my favorite books ever. I also read the entire Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series... Arguably those aren't well written (well, they're "problematic" in 2019 parlance) but they had the right mix of reluctant hero is secretly the most powerful person in the world which explains why he's always been so randomly good at stuff and they he's discovered.

Any recommendations?

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The last Sci Fi series I read was the "Fleet of Worlds" series from Larry Niven. I was a fan of his novel "Ringworld" from many many moons ago and give this a shot. It's five books (six if you include Ringworld in the proper chronology between numbers four and five) and I really enjoyed it.

3. CJ

I'll take a look... I'm probably a little more fantasy than sci-fi.

DYohn likes this.
  4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

One modern classic author from the sword and sorcery genre would be Marion Zimmer Bradley.

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

I'm more on the sci-fi side so these may not work for you.

Bobiverse. I'm very much looking forward to the release of books 4 and 5 in this series.

Red Rising could be described as GoT in space.

6. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Ursula K LeGuin? Wizard of Earthsea made a great impression on me when I first read it.
    Although it wasn't originally designed as a series, it grew into one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea - Wikipedia

DYohn likes this.
  7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Dragonriders of Pern by ‎Anne McCaffrey‎; ‎Todd McCaffrey‎; currently there are 23 books in this series, which is part sci fi and mostly dragon fantasy. I've read a couple of them, and while not to my normal tastes, they were good reads nonetheless. And I second Davids recommend on Larry Niven's Ringworld books. These are part of his "Known Space" sci fi universe which is highly entertaining. I have also read and enjoyed so much I've read David Weber's "Empire from the Ashes" trilogy three times now. Pure sci fi, but way fun. Imagine our moon is actually an abandoned ancient exploration space ship that replaced the real moon fifty thousand years ago.

DYohn likes this.
  8. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I really like the Dresden File series of books. Urban Fantasy, starts out as a magician detective for hire and the world builds every book.
    The Dresden Files - Wikipedia

I'm also reading all the books in the Honorverse series (there are 30 or so.) Super hard sci-fi/military and might not be what you're looking for because he will spend 3 or 4 pages explaining how different missiles and intercept velocities work.
    Honorverse - Wikipedia

Randy Rhoton likes this.
  9. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The Thomas Covenant series.
    Fantasy. 10 books

10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I've read all the Honorverse books. Like them a lot, but yeah he does get wordy.

11. John F

John F Active Member

How about ...

Stephen King's Dark Tower, or
    The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman
    Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
    Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott (or one of his other series)

12. CJ

Thanks for the recommendations all.

I love King... that's actually what I've been reading a lot of recently. I just finished The Outsider and before that The Eyes of the Dragon and Sleeping Beauties with a few other books sprinkled in. I read The Dark Tower and could not get into it. It felt like nothing was happening and I felt constantly lost at the same time.

I realized one of the series I'm reading now has a new entry so I started that. Its a quirky series about a group of people that discover our entire reality is a simulation and discover the ability to hack it.

13. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

There is a series writer by the name of W.E.B. Griffin. He has several series about the Army, Marines and Pensylvania State Police. If you want a change of pace. There are also British naval series back in the 1500-1600s for even more of a change. Try Dewey Lambdin for an author.

14. John F

John F Active Member

I can understand that. I guess I'm lucky (or lack taste), but I enjoy just about everything I read.