Luddite Phone Question

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by John Celardo, Nov 7, 2019.

1. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I need some advice from you tech geniuses. I've been hanging on to my ancient Galaxy S-5 waiting for this 5G thing to happen. Apparently the wait will continue for a while. My phone takes forever to load apps, and despite having an international plan, I couldn't use data in Paris. I clear the cache regularly. I guess it's time to take the plunge and buy a new phone. I like the old Samsung because it accepts a micro-memory card that holds my music, and I've replaced the battery a couple of times.

My question is where should I buy a new phone? I've alway got them from Verizon, but I know big V bumps the prices a lot. If I do buy from another source, how do I get the phone onto my network? And what about transferring my contacts and apps? I don't need anything fancy since I'm retired. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

You can buy a phone at Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or any other electronics place, and as long as it can function on the Verizon network, all you should need to do is transfer your SIM card. Let me know if you need a hand with Contacts and such. If you have a gmail/google account that stuff is a snap.

3. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

The likely reason your current phone did not work in Paris is because VZ works on CDMA and most of the world is GSM. If you must stay with VZ buy a factory unlocked phone that works both on CDMA and GSM so it will work anywhere in the world. If you travel often then consider dual SIM phone. If you get a CDMA/GSM phone you have choice of other providers like ATT, T-mobile, Sprint etc.

I don't like to get tied up in contracts, so I use monthly pay services, I have used Net10 sister of Smartalk, Cricket, H2O wireless. They lease surplus frequencies and tower from ATT and are much cheaper than majors. H2O wireless I have used their $36 and change service that include Unlimited talk and text and 5Gb 4G LTE data but limited to 8gbps and unlimited International text and limited International talk time. I supplemented International talk with Google voice. There is one potential limitation with these providers - ATT or VZ may limit access in case of major national emergency in favor of their own customers.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Barry_NJ likes this.
  4. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Thanks gents.

5. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

Do you know if there are dual Sim (dual LTE/4G) phones available yet?
    I had a dual Sim moto g years ago, used one Sim for voice and text (employer paid) and one Sim for data (I paid, just like a tablet Sim), but the talk/text could only be 2G

6. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I believe there are several dual SIM 4G/LTE phones out there. Check Amazon, ebay, swappa (f you want pre-owned.

Bent likes this.