Mary Poppins Returns

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mikael Soderholm, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

What?
    No thread yet? I can't believe it!
    I loved the original as a kid, my mother used to read the books to me and my brothers, but for some reason, like Sound of Music, it didn't grow with me, like Wizard of Oz or Gone With the Wind, so I haven't seen the original since the mid 60s
    But, having a daughter working for Disney Nordic, we got tix for a VIP showing for the sequel, opening here on Christmas Day, and it was absolutely magnificent.
    The cast is not only the magical Emily Blunt, but Emily Mortimer, Ben Wishaw, and of course Meryl Streep, and many, many other fine actors and actresses, including an Dick Van Dyke cameo.
    The music and the settings makes it feel like a classic movie right from the start, and with the hand-drawn animation, it just goes on and on, making this a modern classic, I hope.
    It gives you that happy, elated feeling watching it, and that great feeling afterwards, having seen something special, that stays with you for a long time.
    This is how the folks who liked La la land must have felt ;)
    Anyway, Emily Blunt is magificent, go see her, and go see it, you won't regret it.

Denton likes this.
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

To cure your euphoria and bring you back down to earth, I recommend "White Light/White Heat" at high volume. ;)

Mikael Soderholm and Denton like this.
  3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I'm a bit pissed about this one. It looks really good and is getting very good reviews. But when the trailers started playing on TV my damn wife starts playing crotchety old person and saying things like "NO, there is only one Mary Poppins" so now non of my kids want to see it. I'm legit pissed at her.

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Has she or your children read the books?
    I think Blunt did a credible job. But this is and always will be a point of contention. There’s only one Rooster Cogburn. Which Love Affair(an affair to remember) is the best or most authentic? Which—A star is born. which— James Bond.

5. CJ

They haven't read the books and that was the first thing I told them was, you know there is more than one book.

6. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Haha, sounds like a quote from Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, 'as your attorney, I advise you to ...' :smiley:

Lou, Velvets or Bowie?
    Live or studio?
    All these questions ...
    David with Charlie Sexton, awesome:

DYohn and Denton like this.
  7. CJ

We got the youngest to go see this today. It was really well done but I actually had a hard time shutting out the fact that it is not the original, which is one of the best movies ever made. They did a good job casting and the story was well done. The songs were not instantly catchy though. Good effort.

8. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I liked it even more than CJ.

Carl V likes this.
  9. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Of course. Pish posh, you were probably walking into the theater whistling “spoon full of sugar”