Movie that made you realize they made good movies before

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, May 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Tyson

Tyson Member

I honestly don't know the answer to this. I will say that my dad sat me down and we watched some movies that are now considered classics, but they were made a few years after I was born. Some exceptions might be the Spaghetti Westerns that Eastwood was in. So I will say The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, for now.

As far as when I got out on my own in college? That really is a tough one. I started out as a film major in college but I really do not remember what 'oldie' did it for me. Possibly Kane, simply by default, being a film major and looking up 'the best' movie ever made somewhere. Because back then it was also at the top of the list.

As for a movie that showed me that movies could be great, period, probably The Godfather, with my dad, watching an edited for TV version, since Beta probably wasn't even out back then. I was young when I watched it. Probably 7 or 8.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

After thinking some more, Lawrence of Arabia was also probably a big "WOW" for me too...

3. AndrewM

AndrewM Active Member

It just squeaks in there, sorta (for the first, but not the second). But the Godfather 1 & 2 really ignited my desire for films and older stuff and paying more attention to the actual film to try and get the subtle stuff and symbolism.

I've seen plenty of older stuff before that, and stuff that I now love and enjoy was more 'meh' when I was younger.

4. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson Member

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Rear Window

5. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

for me it was "the good, the bad, and the ugly", which i saw sometimes around 1977.

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Speaking of great old movies, Casablanca was on our local PBS station last night. Stayed up way too late to see it all the way through.

Isn't it funny how you can have a movie on DVD (or in this case HD DVD) and still watch it through when it is on TV?

7. Chris White

Chris White Active Member

Steve's post sums up my thoughts quite nicely (if not succinctly). I've always enjoyed old movies. However, over the past couple of years I have watched all of the AFI Top 100 films (except for one) and it has definitely given me a much better appreciation for actors/actresses that I only seen in their later years.

I bet. It's a timeless classic. In fact, it pretty much sums up what life is like in Oklahoma even today, doesn't it. ;)

8. Allen

Allen Active Member

I do that every time Shawshank Redemption is on - can't see it enough times (and every time I do, I still marvel at all the great writing and dialog - much of which I can quote in advance; and how great I think that flick is).

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

More like West Texas.

10. LyleS

LyleS New Member

Hi,

For me it was also Lawrence of Arabia, but I didn't get a chance to see it till I bought the DVD.

P.S. CJ et All Thanks for setting up the lounge on such a quick timeline. I hope to spend many enjoyable hours learning and hopefully participating occasionally.

Lyle.