Music sales by format

Discussion in 'Music' started by DYohn, Oct 2, 2018.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

From the RIAA. Very interesting information (and shows the so-called resurgence of vinyl is but a small blip)

U.S. Sales Database - RIAA

(Thanks to Buzz Goddard for posting this on FB)

jasn likes this.
  2. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

That is a great graph and very informative. Vinyl is surely a small piece of the pie but if you hover over the years it shows it is still recent growth in revenue by about 10%/yr. No thanks to me, mind you...

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Vinyl is a niche, of course. I'm loving it, and am part of the "resurgence."

I think it's interesting that over the last few years it's the only physical medium that's increasing (and in 2017 the ONLY medium that's increasing if I'm reading the chart correctly) even if it is small in comparison to everything else.

4. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Looks like tape vanished about 2003. A well recorded music on good quality analog tape can outmatch any vinyl.

5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Open reel, yes. Cassette? Never.

6. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Most of my purchases over the last year probably have been hi-rez downloads followed by CDs. Sometimes I buy the CD when I am buying an album by a more obscure artist as their website sometimes doesn't specify what format the download will be (e.g. MP3 which I don't want to play on a hi-rez system). I don't keep music discs out but have transports in most of the systems if someone brings a CD over (e.g. old Oppo players I never sold and just rotated to a back-up system). I don't think I could ever go back to physical media at this point.

7. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Looks to me like revenues were high during the peak downloading (stealing music years). A little surprised at that.

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Still buying cd's. Some years ago at a store event I was given a coupon for a free album download. When I got home and tried it the first thing it asked was which format. Four to pick from. Oh shit. I didn't know the differences, (still don't) so picked one at random. It's in the computer somewhere but I've never been able to find it much less play it. Have long since forgotten what it was. Have never downloaded anything since. And likely never will.

9. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

It's interesting (to me) that I've been a music nut of several different mediums through every one of those years. I look at the glory days from the 80's into the early 00"s and can only imagine how it makes some recording companies cry...and they should! They fucked it all up for themselves trying to keep it all locked up, letting others decide how music moves around the globe, and watching their golden eggs slip through their fingers.

Look at the growth in paid subscriptions. They are the future.

DYohn likes this.
  10. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I truly hope some form of 'physical media' stays viable, even if paired with a digital download option...I still likes me some physical media.

Jack Keck, Barry_NJ and Randy Rhoton like this.
  11. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

EDIT: Missed the second chart that is sales but will leave the post for context.

The title of this thread is misleading and doesn't match the data. This is revenue by source, not sales by format. Streaming just accounted for the majority of music label revenue for the first time. That's not sales and that paints an interesting picture.

I'll go on record for the 700th time that Apple should buy Tidal and or stand up their own high-res service.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's post toasties but as someone who tried the vinyl resurgence and thought it was a fad, its interesting to see that vinyl is barely outpacing ringtones in sales.

My only other insight is click the radio button on the first chart to do the inflation adjusted view. Revenue peaked in 1999 and has fallen every year until 2014/15 which is when you see streaming revenues really ramp up. I definitely think record labels should be going all in on streaming and even providing additional value by offering a high quality product. If they want to continue to grow revenues they need to attract new music lovers and while music love and audiophilia don't inherently go hand in hand, giving the most ardent music lovers a sub-standard experience seems like a huge mistake to me.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  12. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

This thread sparked some interest in me to do a little more research and I came across this article

In Shift to Streaming, Music Business Has Lost Billions

Now that there are multiple multi-tier platforms from Tidal, to iTunes, to Deezer, to Spotify I would stop playing the ad-supported streaming game. Simply wait out the existing contracts and then sign sustainable deals with the streaming services going forward. That will likely result in all streaming services becoming subscription based and that's fine with me.

The whole ad-supported model enrages me anyway. If there is a game on iOS that doesn't let me remove ads I uninstall it. I think in general ad-supported is a horrible model that gives people the false impression that something is free when in reality their personal information is being pillaged by companies with no ethics and no controls in place to protect it.

DYohn likes this.
  13. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I used to listen to Calm Radio (free ad supported version) if I am in a rare mood for Gregorian Chants, Chorale Music as bedtime music. I wouldn't mind the ads except that they are so much louder than the music that it breaks the tranquility.

14. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

Subscription model is the future, for a year or two.

15. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Hmm, shouldn't this thread be in the, IDK, maybe the Music Forum?
    :wink: