My Media Room

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Barry_NJ, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Those (Optimus Pro LX5) were my very first HT. Got 5 of them on "super sale" at the Shack. Also a Cerwin Vega passive sub along with a Sony receiver from the outlet store.

Carl V and Barry_NJ like this.
  2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Yesterday I upgraded the capacitors on my Optimus Pro 77 surrounds, nice improvement in the sound, really smoothed them out and got rid of a bunch of sibilance. Also hooked my DarbeeVision DVP5000S up last night, and really like the effect, it's subtle without adding any distracting artifacts, and at the same time a significant improvement in sharpness. If you're on the fence, go for it.

Denton and Carl V like this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

So, whatcha been watching? Listening to?

4. Barry_NJ

Watched Doctor Strange last night, tonight, Passengers. Some YouTube content in between.

Been listening mostly to CDs; Beethoven's IX, Ode to Joy, Elvis Costello: My Aim Is True, Tool: 10,000 Days, Thomas Dolby: The Sole Inhabitant, Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, Tori Amos: Live at Montreux...

Denton and Carl V like this.
  5. Carl V

Sounds nice. Glad you can now sit back enjoy the fruits of your labors.

6. Barry_NJ

Well, still some work to be done... I started installing the crown molding this weekend, and there's one more section of soffit to install. Then I have to tidy up the shelves. There's some junk on them that needs to be cleared, and lots of books in storage that need to be placed on them. But the functionality is now all there ;-)

7. Barry_NJ

New tapestry behind the equipment rack, I think the colors are more suited to the room...

48356298582_ac4da21c13_o.jpg
    2019-07-23_09-28-26 by Barry, on Flickr

Rick C and Carl V like this.
  8. Carl V

Nice.

9. Barry_NJ

Found some Sapphire SAT-1000 surrounds on ebay that I think will work well. From what I was able to read on them, prior to pulling the trigger, they have a smoother more forgiving sound, and listening to white noise bears this out. The Optimus speakers had a much higher pitch than my mains during level matching with white noise, and these seem a better match. For about $90 delivered for the four, I'm happy. Maybe one day, I'll be able to get a good deal on a second set of Gallo Strada (overkill for surrounds?), or maybe a set of the A'Diva, but these will do for now...

48566046952_4fd36bb503_b.jpg
    New Surrounds by Barry, on Flickr

10. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Cool. I've found the white noise to be very revealing on how close unrelated speakers will blend, all important to the "surround experience"

With exception to my first system (5 Radio Shack LX5 pros) none were the same all around. The more the white noise sounds the same is a good indicator of how seamless the blend is.