My Media Room

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Barry_NJ, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

How’s that working for ya? Dustin?!

2. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

PJ is a Ben-Q HT2050A, screen is 96"x54", 110" diagonal 16:9. I can easily watch with some ambient light, but obviously there is some wash-out in those conditions, just need to be okay with that. In a dark room image is excellent. According to Projector Central's throw calculator, they estimate I'm at 20FL.
    The hazy sky issue was the main reason for the switch, on the canvas screen there was a readily apparent haze in sky cloud images. The spandex is far superior in those instances. I just watched a few scenes from GRAVITY, space and stars are great, I'm not going to claim inky blacks from this lower level DLP, but black is black, especially if there is a white object on screen to make the contrast apparent. Black looks inky if there's a large bright white object contrasting against it.
    Back when I started the PJ theater stuff I had an InFocus X1, and gain really was an issue. I was trying all types of silver satin and silver spandex materials, but shimmer was always an issue, and all the reading I'd done told me comercial high gain screens exhibited similar issues. When I got my Mitsubishi HC1500, gain was less of an issue and I went with white canvas. My PJ is now the BenQ HT2050A, and it was so bright on my white canvas screen that I went for gray canvas. I hadn't looked at DIY Screens on AVS for a while, and I recently stumbled across the spandex discussions there, so I figured I'd give spandex another go with the matt spandex. No shimmer, and improved sharpness over the canvas. I'm a happy camper.

Due to curiosity, I just grabbed the white canvas out of a box, and the weave seems smaller/tighter than the gray is. Still no where as fine/tight as the spandex is though...

White Canvas...
    50054639528_3c1e44c628_o.jpg
    2020-06-28_02-18-36 by Barry, on Flickr
    Gray canvas...
    50049051652_9ffebecf07_o.jpg
    2020-06-26_09-01-56 by Barry, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Carl V likes this.
  3. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

You know, I think my phone's camera is doing some image manipulation, and I never took pix of the canvas screen with the DSLR, so won't be able to do those comparisons...

4. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Good to know.