New internet service

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Stefan, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

Can’t see that WSJ article, but I am interested in knowing if I need the 300 speed. Tomorrow is the day so I’ll post my speed.

Guy came today to do the outside setup. He temporarily has the fiber anchored to 2 trees going over my driveway and laying on the ground all the way to the house. It’s a long distance to the road. Within the next few weeks they will trench it. But I was worried for a bit because at first he said they were going to have to call utility company for wire locations and do the trenching later. But central office decided to let him lay it on the ground to get me going.

2. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I read it on Apple News +. Basically they did a test and had their writer monitor their bandwidth and start stream after stream after stream and at 6-7 streams of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Video Game, YouTube etc. it was using 40-50Mbps. So they're basically saying unless you download lots of large files, anything over 100 is overkill.

As far as trenching, stay on them. I've seen horror stories on Reddit of people waiting 6-12 months to have fiber buried.

jasn likes this.
  3. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

For trenching they will have to call Miss Utility to mark the utility lines. When Verizon laid fiber in my 'hood in around 2004 their trencher dug barely 10 inch deep for their main line. I know because they broke my lawn sprinkler line in two spots, sprinkler head, and their rheumatic rat burrowed and pulled the fiber under my driveway left a bulge on the driveway that eventually cracked and Verizon refused to fix it. For branches to each house they went perhaps 6-8 inches. How far deep they need to go depends upon the winter ground freeze depth where you are.

Here's another article on speeds - Is Your Internet Fast Enough for Streaming?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. pillatier

CJ can you please post a link to the Apple News + about the speed? Thanks

5. pillatier

Jasn - the graphics specially the graphs and plots are not showing. Can you please try to print PDF from the browser? In Firefox I do - CTRL+P or go to Files and drop down to Print preview and Print.

6. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The graphics are interactive p, so printing and posting won't help much. The text can give you almost all you need to know.

[edit] I did, however, email myself the story and it came back with the following link. Perhaps it will give you a free look? Let us know...

The Truth About Faster Internet: It’s Not Worth It

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. CJ

jasn likes this.
  8. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Thanks. For the links.
    Sorta what I thought and have observed.
    Best results has been physical media, Hard wired, When critical video or critical video is desired on a high quality device or environment. After that you are getting pretty good results if your home router/ switches & parameters are well optimized. .

But we are still at the mercy of “packet” transmission protocols.

9. Stefan

Stefan Active Member

Thanks for the apple + link - I will read it later. Here is my best test so far at 1:30 am. Even though I’m paying for 300, sometimes I get speeds below 100. But the speeds directly from the wired router to the modem are always around 300. My wireless router varies greatly. So, if I pay for lower speed, I worry that my actual speed may end up being too low.

IMG_4793.jpg

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

There are two speed maximums your wireless can provide. What it can do transferring data over the local network and what it can do over the Internet. Both are affected by the signal strength, type, how fast the source can upload and any wireless interference.

If everything is perfect on your local network. G devices could hit a theoretical max of 54 mbps. N is 300 mbps and AC is 1 gbps. Everything is never perfect and getting the maximums will almost never happen.

For Internet speed you can't exceed what the modem does (ie your providers service level).

So let's say you are using N devices and able to actually get 200 mbps over your local network. That means with your current service you'll never use the full bandwidth from a single wireless device (200mbps is the max). If you changed to a 150 mbps service then you'd get 150 mbps on your device. The limiting factor is now the service, not your local wireless network. And streaming a HD Netflix video will use 5 mpbs of your bandwidth in either scenario.

You can't exceed your lowest limiting factor. But other than that, changing one of the factors doesn't effect the others.

11. CJ

Wi-Fi 6 will offer "up to" 10 gbps so the internal network limiting factor will be a thing of the past in a while. Even if everything is not ideal and you get "half" speed, that's going to be fast.

12. pillatier

If you have 802.11n wireless router then it can broadcast up to 300mbps as Dustin noted. Do you have strong signal at your wireless reception point? Something may be interfering with the router radio signal, perhaps distance between the router and you reception point, metal screen (door) or somthing large metallic. In my house the router is upstairs I get less than full strength signal downstairs in the family room even though the actual distance is like no more than 30 feet. I'd try first rebooting the wireless router by simply unplugging and plugging it, if that does not help then try moving the antenna(s) on the router, if that does not help try moving the router. If all that fails then perhaps time for a new wireless router with the most current specs. If your router is new/er then perhaps repeater will help.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CL5E/?tag=homthelou-20.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019