New Iphones not even 5G ready

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by pillatier, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

A new tuner will be needed to receive 4K broadcast signals. The current tuners, whether it be in the TV or a Network Tuner, are not compatible with ATSC 3.0

2. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Thanks gives me another reason to procrastinate on a new TV! :smile:

Denton likes this.
  3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

If and when it comes to pass, I'm sure there will be outboard tuners available. They won't be as super cheap as the (cheapo) plain old digital tuners which were available when the switch was made from analog to digital (probably have a couple of those in the garage). If 4K broadcasts come, down the road there will be cheaper tuners (but by then everyone who doesn't have cable or satellite will need one). That's why I'm not rushing out to buy a TV until I see what happens. Unless something breaks and I can't wait, I'll stick with what I have until a TV set is available with the new tuners. That's one less TV set I'll need to get an adapter box for down the road.

4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I'm banking on Silicon Dust to come up with a 4K Tuner solution in the next few years. I have been using their HD HomeRun Network Tuners for years.