New lamp...pow...wham!

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Mike, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I purchased a projector from my good friend Max a few years back. He told me it would likely need a lamp soon so I was expecting it to go out. But it didnt.

A few years later and I began losing interest in watching the projector. It was easier just to fire up the TV and sit in the easy chair to watch a movie using (gasp) the TV speaker. I wondered what caused this gradual lapse in interest and one night it dawned on me, the image from the projector was not really all that great anymore.

Fully expecting the 500 dollar lamps of old, I steeled myself and my wallet to look for a new lamp to see if that would make a difference. Wel my, my, my...the lamps are now 100 bucks! Awesome. I ordered it up and waited for it to arrive.

After I installed it I fired up the projector expecting a marginal improvement, hopefully enough to inspire me to use the projector and full boat sound more often. Well zowie...it was almost a religious experience. The picture is absolutely stunning now and I cant get enough of watching it. We even watch our regular TV programs on it again.

If you have a projector that you have lost the passion for, get yourself a new lamp.

DYohn likes this.
  2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Agree. New lamps revitalize the HT. We too watched “tv” on the 100”. BY TGE SAME TOKEN new tubes often revitalize our stereos. So, often we slowly adjust and accommodate to the aging sound. Where upon the new tube sound usually makes me ask what the hell was I waiting for.

Mike likes this.
  3. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Great post Mike. I'm on lamp number 2 in my 9-year-old Epson 6100. They're supposed to last 4,000 hours and I think I got a little more out of the first one. I checked the lamp price a couple of months ago, and like you the low price surprised me. I'll definitely spend the hundred bucks when it starts to dim. I'm obviously not an early adopter. :sunglasses:

Mike likes this.
  4. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Very nice. Glad the new lamp re-lit your interest!

Mike likes this.
  5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Yeah, they dim so slowly you don't see it.

Mike likes this.
  6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Just ordered another replacement last a couple days ago. This time I got an third-party housing with OEM bulb for JVC DLA-RS1. Price ~$130. Much cheaper than I've paid in the past for all-OEM, so I hope it works out. My projector has never been bright so when the bulb starts to go it's pretty bad even in total light control. Not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to getting the bulb in. Been watching Haunting of Hill House and so much dark stuff I can hardly see. I don't know how many hours are even on the bulb I have in presently since I couldn't get the stinking counter reset last time.

Mike likes this.
  7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Cue for a new painting.

Mike likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I should check the hours on mine but certainly I don't have the "loss of interest" symptom regardless. Even at under $200 part of me wants to just pull the trigger on a 4k but I don't have the content right now to go with it given my setup.

Mike likes this.
  9. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I read an article that said 4k is wasted on a projector. I think it was on the projector people site actually. Not sure if that is true but it was an interesting read .

10. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This "4K is wasted" argument makes me laugh. It reminds me of Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff", where he wrote about the fighter pilots pissing on the new Astronauts, going 4 faster and higher, as being nothing more than monkeys going along for the ride. The astronauts replied "Whatever jocks, I'll wave to you while I pass you by", or something like that.

What's wrong with you all...? Did you say the same bullshit when 480p eclipsed 480i..? Not to mention the same argument for 1080. How about when bluray kicked DVD to the curb?

No wonder this industry is dying. Even us diehards are laying down. 4K fucking rocks, Man!

11. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Yes it does! My new computer monitor will be a 40 inch 4K on the wall and not on my desk - :)

12. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I think there is an argument to be made about resolution not adding value below a certain screen size and distance. But--on a >120" screen it's got to be good. But the 4K projectors or displays also tend to be HDR, and replacing something non-HDR. So that makes it more difficult to really discern the difference attributable only to resolution.

13. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Goes to #11.....like spinal tap. It’s gotta rawk

14. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

I posted info from a study on 8K displays not that long ago. Basically that 8K make sense on really big displays. But on smaller displays the pixel density exceeds the resolution of the human eye, so there is no benefit.

15. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Your point is a good one Dan and likely cannot be refuted. I find the parallels interesting with the "aural wars" all over the interwebs regarding DACs, Cables, power cords, hi-rez files, etc. There doesn't seem to be as much controversy about the visual wars...yet?

16. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

There are always people who if they are told there is an improvement will claim they can hear/see/feel it, even if the only thing that changed was the model number on the faceplate.