New Welder

Discussion in 'DIY' started by JeffC, Jul 19, 2020.

1. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I've been eyeballing small trailers and found a couple of them that were aluminum and needed repair. Plus, I'm getting ready to do more fabricating in playing around with a LS install on a project. I though seriously about picking up a nice new MIG with a spool gun, but when I priced it all out I was well over 2.5K so I started looking at stick welders. Ended up going with the PrimeWeld 225 here.

Good stick power and a lot of high quality TIG parts including a CK Worldwide torch with finger trigger and a nice foot pedal.

I haven't picked up a bottle of Argon yet, but I have stick welded some metal with 6012 which blazed right through at 85Amps. It's a 220 60 amp machine which matches my building service but I haven't had any issues yet. I probably won't push it that hard. Now I've got my Lincoln for thin sheet metal and this guy for anything bigger. Hopefully it fits the need.

20200712_155411-M.jpg

Barry_NJ and carlthess50 like this.
  2. carlthess50

carlthess50 Member

When I was able to work ( before I became disabled) welding was my favorite thing to do in the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Nice.

JeffC likes this.
  4. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Nice. Mine are below.....

Attached Files:

JeffC likes this.
  5. JeffC

Mine is what I have. Yours is more like what I want. :grinning: ESAB is making some very nice stuff.

6. Chris Slade

Yeah, as kind of a beginner welder that esab, and smart mig setting are amazing. People almost believe I know what I am doing.

JeffC likes this.
  7. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

8. carlthess50

carlthess50 Member

Give this a try
    Degrease the metal and sand the hell out of it. Nice bead without gas. Maybe try moving slower and angle your gun some and get your cup as close as possible. When your in the zone. You won’t even need to see the metal melting as your moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Chris Slade

Great thread.... I feel like welding up some angle iron now.

10. JeffC

Flux core is messy but that welder is pretty much like my lincoln. I have shielding gas on it, but it's got flux core wire in it right now. Great for sheet metal. Just have to grind it clean.

11. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I can tell you that it's a lot better and easier than that god awful transformer thing I was using before.

12. JoeM

JoeM Well-Known Member

I had the same junk you initially had and made the same jump as you earlier this year. Such an improvement for a cheap welder.

13. Eric

Eric Active Member

I've got a Miller wire feed. Bought it with the best of intentions. Used it twice. Having said that, I like it. Want a plasma cutter. And move to TIG. Probably won't get any more use out of such beasts, but that doesn't diminish the desire.

14. JeffC

I have a plasma cutter, but I haven't even unboxed it yet. I had the best of intentions, but I haven't gotten around to putting in my rapid-air system yet because I'm thinking about moving my compressor to the corner behind my tire machines, but I have to run 220 over to the corner. :grinning:

And, I need my shoulder to start working well before all that.

15. Chris Slade

I also have a plasma cutter at home. It is unboxed, but not used. I am kind of getting away from tool collecting now. I just don't have the time.