NYT reviewer hated Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DYohn, Nov 2, 2018.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Review: Another One Bites the Dust

“Bohemian Rhapsody,” the movie about Queen, lasts more than two hours, not a very long time by modern feature standards, even though it feels interminable. A baroque blend of gibberish, mysticism and melodrama, the film seems engineered to be as unmemorable as possible, with the exception of the prosthetic teeth worn by the lead actor, Rami Malek, who plays Freddie Mercury, Queen’s lead singer. Those choppers may give you nightmares. And some of you who venture into the theater will surely be inspired to exclaim “Mama mia, let me go!”

A lot of the story may be true, but none of it feels remotely authentic. Neither, however, does the film come close to capturing the glorious and unlikely artifice of Queen itself, a band whose scrambling of sexual and musical codes remains a remarkable phenomenon in the history of popular culture. “Bohemian Rhapsody” supplies a reminder that the band existed, but it conveys only a superficial, suspect sense of what it was. You can do better with YouTube and a stack of vinyl records. Easy come, easy go.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member

My wife and I saw the film last night and absolutely loved it. I have no idea what he means by jibberish. I will say the prosthetic teeth were slightly exaggerated, but not greatly so. I’m not sure what the reviewer expected.

Denton likes this.
  3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

NYT = fake news

'nuff said. :wink:

4. DYohn

More like A.O. Scott is likely not a Queen fan.

Denton likes this.
  5. Denton

A.O. Scott? Does his company make water heaters? :wink:

6. DYohn

Don't know. Maybe that was where his daddy's money came from... :sunglasses:

Denton likes this.
  7. Denton

My wife and I enjoyed "Bohemian Rhapsody" in spite of neither of us being particularly strong Queen fans. It is clear that some liberties were taken in the story. Standard operating procedure. It is an entertainment more than it is truth.

BTW, I think they did what they had to do with the dental prosthesis. It was key in making Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury effective. It was about lip support and facial profile as much as it was about the teeth. Ask Carl.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    DYohn likes this.
  8. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Its not just them. Critics in general aren't liking it. What seems to be happening is that the film has a lot of problems but fans don't care. That was basically my sister's review. Objectively, eh, but a boost from loving the content. Its 60% on rotten tomatoes and that's up from before it opened when it was in the 50s. But its got a 95% audience score.

9. Denton

10. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Saw this last night. About 15 minutes too long in the middle but I liked it. Mike Myers took me a minute but was a fun surprise. My wife and daughter loved it. Saw the Elton John movie is coming. I wonder if these do well what we will see next? Kansas? The Eagles? Love to see a SRV movie.

I had a good time at this one, but I really like Queen.

11. Denton

Great idea! I'd love to see the scene where Bowie offers him scale to play guitar on his tour and Stevie tells him where to put that.

JeffC, DYohn and Carl V like this.
  12. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Interesting anecdote. That woulda been humorous