Product idea - feedback anyone?

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by DYohn, Oct 7, 2018.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I was discussing a loudspeaker product idea with a friend in the "biz" and thought I'd ask what this esteemed group thought of it.

Given the trend in self-powered monitors that is starting to heat up, what if you could buy them and then choose to self-power them or not? Meaning, the loudspeaker would have a removable control module in the back. One module would contain amps and active crossovers for self-power, and another module would contain a passive crossover to use them as standard speakers with your existing amplifier. You could buy the speaker with one or the other or with both modules and them have the flexibility to use them the way that works best or to change it up later if needs arose.

Do you think a scheme like this - assuming the modules could be made affordable - might find a market?

2. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

not for me but i could see some use for home recording studio work where someone may want powered monitors for playback and mixing and passive for normal listening.

3. RJ

RJ Member

It would be nice if the "modules" contained the components that would need to be upgraded later. For example, bluetooth gets new revisions with new features or bettering of the protocol. If you could replace that module when a new bluetooth version comes out then the speakers themselves could have a long lifecycle. Apply this concept to any technology other than bluetooth, whatever my be used in wireless speakers.

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

It’s a good approach.
    PS Audio will be going down this path sorta.
    Bryson has speakers which go both ways, as do PMC etc.
    but I like the neat & tidy ergonomic swapping potential. If it can be all contained.

5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

How to power seems like a pre-purchase decision though.

6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

My first thought was I like the idea of you could keep the cost of upgrading later reasonable. Meaning passive version is $500 active version is $800 and amp module is only $350 so a person could add it to get better sound later.

But after thinking more about it I’m not sure how many people this would be useful to. Like if you buy the passive version you’re going to need an amp now. So you buy an amp. Now you don’t need the powered module.

DYohn likes this.
  7. DYohn

Thanks. The idea came after the comment, "I bought these powered speakers because I liked the way they sound and thought I might want the flexibility later but now I don't know what to do with my amplifier."

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

For this target demographic, I’d wager, amps could be repurposed as maybe surrounds. The owner might have a reciever and could reassign amp duties. This wouldn’t be the owners first audiophile rodeo, he’d resell it on the secondary market. The speaker maker knowing this might offer a nice trade In program. Again, PS AUDIO does this with their product line. In fact a damn generous program.

9. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

This is one of those products that seems like could have anazing use cases and success, but I would not personally ever use. But just because I wouldn’t use it doesn’t make it a bad idea.

DYohn likes this.
  10. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I like the flexibility. someone could buy the regular ones for the fronts and the powered ones for the surrounds. However, the modules should be easily removed and installed literally slide and slide out. Perhaps another bluetooth module that plugs into a pre-amp to feed the powered speakers.

DYohn likes this.
  11. DYohn

A secondary product that has been in development for some time is a 5GHz wireless transmitter that plugs into your preamp and sends to powered monitors with addressable IP wireless receivers n them. The system can handle up to 30 channels of audio for full Atmos and whole house audio. The patent is pending on that one.

12. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Damn...someone already thought of the blue tooth module idea!!

Ideally I'd like to see a highly compact pre-amp perhaps no bigger than an average sized paperback with only the essential input jacks that outputs to the bluetooth module. All human interface controls on a single 8 inch tablet sized RF remote.