Quad subs

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by CJ, Aug 12, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

2. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

I'm jealous! Love the room! Hope your experiment works out. Don't forget to actually take time to enjoy the theater vs. spending hours and hours fretting over chart after chart and test after test.

BTW.
    My wife would shit a house if I bought $2800 worth of subs.:eek::)

3. CJ

Thanks. That's exactly what I did Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I watched 5 movies this weekend after setting up the subs.

Barry_NJ and Brandth like this.
  4. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Enjoy! In my old house I ran four subs in the main system but only two for LFE on HT. I had one for the center channel and one for the surrounds so that they were full range. It was a large room with high ceilings that opened into other places and the ones I was using for LFE were old Rels that two of them together probably were on the low side (as far as output goes) vs. most straight HT subs. It did work nicely for multi-channel music.
    Old room:
    Living Room3.jpg

5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Good stuff. more subs is almost always a better in-room experience, and it's not about loudness it's about creating a uniform sound field.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  6. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

CJ nice videos. Looks like you are having fun! Thanks for the info on the daisy chaining. I did not realize that there was any signal change with that configuration.

7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Very good videos CJ. I admire your editing skills...and video assistant too!

I'm also admiring your bass traps in the corner/wall. Are you confident those are helping, not adding to your issues? How did you go about getting those designed/placed?

DYohn likes this.
  8. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

CJ's first post is blank with Firefox latest update 61.0.2 not sure why. In what format is the video in the post?

9. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

Your videos are getting better and better. Good job.

If you want me to put that Powersound though it's paces in a big 40X60 metal building, let me know. ;)

Brandth likes this.
  10. CJ

I'm fairly confident they're not making things worse. I did multiple REW measurements and sent the raw data to GIK. I'm not sure I still have the files unfortunately as I'd love to do a before and after without having to move them.

They're embedded youtube videos. My guess is wherever you're browsing from is blocking them. Go to youtube and search on "the lounj". Subscribe if you want.

If you have a way for me to ship it... that's another problem with huge speakers is its hard to retain packaging for resale.

11. DYohn

You guys live pretty close, Jeff could just drive up on a Saturday...

12. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I recall a previous thread of yours which posted the REW Waterfall curves and that they were damn near perfect (fantastic, swift decay). It actually comes through on your videos. Your room sounds quite mellow.

I've made a few measurements of my own with REW and they are pretty depressing. My room is a combo of good/bad materials and dimensions. Someday I'll do my own thread and try to figure it out...

13. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

So CJ how does it sound. Big change, big improvement or not. I imagine you are still in the evaluation phase.

I continue to think you could get to good sound with your Tritons in the front and two subs in the back as you have placed them.

14. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Yeah, that's the important thing. The curves are just a tool. Does it sound better than it did before?

15. CJ

I'll post some info later this week. So far so good.

16. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Glad to hear you are liking the result. Looking forward to your observations later in the week.

17. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Thanks CJ found it on You Tube.

18. CJ

Here's a little preview to hold you over until I post a final video with conclusions.

This was the best I could get the graph with the Triton LFE + PSA and playing with the phase to get minimize the peaks and valleys as much as possible. This was better than either the JUST the PSA sub or JUST the Tritons so it was truly the best I could get the FR acoustically without EQ before.
    Tritons + PSA Right of Rack Best Delay.png
    This is with all four SVS SB-2000s up and running. No EQ. You can see the dip at 40Hz is WAY better than I was ever able to get it before If you compare it to the median from 200hz down its really not bad at all. There is a steep rise from 25hz down which shows how sealed subwoofers interact with the room differently. I'm much more OK with this and in fact it is kind of cool to have that ULF rise.
    SVS all 4 phase 0.png

Finally, I overlaid the two graphs show more clearly.
    PSA+Tritons+SVS Overlay.png

DYohn likes this.
  19. DYohn

Looks like you have a winner. Someone will get a great deal buying your PSA. :)

20. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

Too many charts and analysis stuff.
    So do you and the family enjoy the sound?
    :)