Recommend a 120AC Home Air Pump

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Denton, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

My 20 year old Black and Decker Air Station has hit retirement. I use it for car and bike tires as well as pool floats and such. Current B&D air stations have a lousy reliability record. Can anyone recommend a decent pump that runs on wall current?

2. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

When I was doing lots of DIY woodwork around the house I bought a nail gun and compressor at Home Depot. Haven't shot any nails in a while, but the compressor is great for car tires and other stuff. It's relatively small too.

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

I recently bought a Helteko inflator. Haven't had it long, but satisfied so far. I bought it primarily for inflating the grand-kids' toys and bike tires, and as an emergency inflator for road trips in the car. I also bought an AC/DC adapter for it.

Helteko Inflator

AC/DC Converter

4. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

If you want a small compressor, I'd recommend the California Air tools line. They are small'ish (30 pounds) 120v units that are oilless and quiet. Like this one. But they are not as portable as your old air station.

If you can deal with 12V Costco has these at 14.97 at my store. I have one for every car and I've used them many times. Just buy extra fuses.

5. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

6. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

This is a timely topic. I also have an old B&D portable compressor I bought many years ago at an auto parts store that has finally given it up. Thanks for the recommendations.

7. pillatier

8. Denton

Your comment on accuracy of gauges is pertinent. I never trusted the built-in gauge on my old Air Station and used an Victor gauge for actual measurement.

9. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I own the Ryobi inflator. It's horribly slow on a car tire and it gets pretty hot. Plus you have to hold the trigger when there should be a trigger lock. It's fine for bike tires.

10. Denton

Thanks, Jeff.

11. pillatier

Good to know. Thanks Jeff.

I have a 3 in1 jumper, inflator work light from Harbor Freight. After 5 years the battery inside died, the battery is identical to those inside UPS. Replaced the battery, easy peazy.