Recommend a replacement for Shure V15 LT P-mount cartridge

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by pillatier, Feb 13, 2020.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

I accidentally broke off the stylus yesterday. Shure stopped making the cartridge and replacement stylus ages ago. Any OEM stylus are rare and outrageously expensive on Ebay.

2. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

3. pillatier

LP gear has a stylus for another Shure model that they claim fits perfectly, just looks a bit odd. I will give it a try first. There is also a substitute LP gear cartridge apparently as good as the Shure, I am not quite sure I want to spend $199 though.

4. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

I always liked my V15 cartridges. I hope the replacement does the trick for you!

Denton likes this.
  5. pillatier

Ordered the same VN35E substitute stylus from turntableneedles.com they are about $15 cheaper than LP gear.

6. pillatier

Update - The VN35E stylus does fit and look a bit odd. It is much wider then the V15 LT stylus. The sound is presence heavy and light on highs. So not as good as the OEM stylus.

Found a company Soundsmith their web says they repair stylus sent them an email asking if they can repair mine.

7. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Grab your Dremel and reshape it if possible. Interesting about the sound difference. I would have thought that the stylus assy would have been the same for all V15s

8. pillatier

Don't have a Dremel thinking of cutting/melting with the hot tip of a sharp utility knife blade. The substitute stylus is not identical to the original. This has an elliptical tip vs hyper-elliptical in the original, the cantilever is tube is fatter and also shorter than the original. So the rake angle on the record surface is visually different. Perhaps that is the source of the difference in sound.

9. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Any chance to adjust the arm height at the pivot to reset the rake angle? That’s probably significant to the performance of the stylus. It’s been quite a while since I set my cartridge but recall guidance to get the bottom parallel to the record surface. I don’t think the difference between HE and E would be as noticeable.

10. pillatier

I will the manual, don't recall seeing it, think it is pretty much fixed by design. It is linear tracking TT (Technics SL7),

11. pillatier

Issue resolved - Bought a New Old Stock (NOS) original Shure stylus specific for the cartridge on Ebay. TT sounds much the same as before. It may need few hours of playing to loosen it up.

Also, found another source in Netherlands. Don't know anything about them. Shure V-15-LT (V15LT) turntable needle, stylus.

Denton likes this.
  12. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Good news!! You might want to buy a spare while you still can? I always used Shures (M93, V15-III, V15-V) and enjoyed their performance before moving to a Helicon MC just to see what all the fuss was about.

Denton likes this.
  13. pillatier

Thought about it, considering the stylus for the LT version is near un-obtainium. Have to budget for it. Just noticed turntableneedles.com has for $247. That would about the same price from Netherlands.

Phil Rose likes this.
  14. pillatier

Played the Telacrs 1812 Overture with real cannons yesterday. The stylus tracked perfectly as expected. Damn those cannons they clipped the Lexicon NT (Bryston 4BST) main amp and even clipped the sub-woofer amp. I was listening at less than my normal levels. Fortunately, the Maggies survived.

15. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Yep, that’s a tough one for a system! Glad that the cart/stylus hung in there. Those V15s are good trackers. Did you ever try the Shure Audio Obstacle Course disc?

16. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Phil Rose likes this.
  17. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Thanks for the article link. I can understand why he chose to get out of the business.