Redwood National Park, need advise

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Zak, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Monterrey for sure, but it's the wrong way from your destination.

2. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

5 days north 5 days south its doable. Coastal redwoods are enjoyable. Aptos has the forest of Nisene Marks. Which is near Santa Cruz and it’s beach boardwalk. Look into a horseback ride nearby.

3. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

My wife and I searched and searched and searched for decent places to stay north of San Fran. Eureka, and other towns up that way. with 5 of us going and this late in the season there was nothing available that we liked and what was available was on the nasty side and pricey. Santa Cruz and Monterey had some amazing places but very, very expensive for the 5 of us.

Looking at Dennis's post we started looking at places near Yosemite. My wife found and booked a week for us at The Village Lodge in Mammoth Lake. 2 bedroom condo. Looks like a cool spot. Half an hour away from one of the entrances of Yosemite. Most likely going to fly into Vegas as Southwest has a lot of options. then stay a few nights in Vegas before we head home. See hte strip one night, then hit hoover dam, grand canyon on other days then fly home.

Carl V likes this.
  4. Mike B

Oh yeah, Monterrey is way expensive if you're right on the beach. We like the Monterrey Bay Inn and get a room on the bay side which is so close you can spit into the ocean from your room. Hear the slosh of the waves on the rocks and watch the otters frolic. But it's $350/night. Worth every penny, but expensive.

Have fun inland, Yosemite is awesome!

5. Carl V

OK...sounds like your back up plan looks fun, enjoyable & affordable.

Next year book ahead for the GIANT redwoods. VRBO.

6. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Monterrey being expensive is why when I went south I went all the way to Pismo Beach. More my kinda scene. :)

7. Blake

Blake Member

Zak, just so your aware Yosemite is so popular and access is so not great that if you’re not staying in the park most of the time in the summer you’ll have to bus in. Not a huge deal but with three kids in tow it’s something to think about.

Rent bikes on the valley floor and you can see a ton and it’s all pretty flat so just cruising along lets you take in the magic.

That being said it’s a bucket list place that exceeds its reputation and my favorite national park by a large margin - and I’ve knocked off all 47 of them in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I lived in California for 35 years and never visited Yosemite. Have a great time!

9. Carl V

Whoa David. That surprised me.

Regardless, have fun. Mono lake is kinda cool. As is the ghost town Bodie.

On the other side of Yosemite. Highway395, there is s great gas station cafe. Whoa Nellie deli. If you go up and over to Tuolumne Meadows ,with its scenic reflection Ya might as well head on over tioga road. Lotsa stuff to see and do.

10. Mike B

Yeah, you can do the "CA tourist gold rush" tour in them thar foot hills

11. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Great ideas everyone, thank you! Really looking forward to going. My wife was looking at the live webcams yesterday and amazing they are still skiing up there. Website says they should have skiing until August. That's insane. Kids are excited to possibly ski/snowboard while we are out there. I'd like to fish some, maybe rent a MTB and do some trails. Though remembered that we'll be in Vegas in July. Damn that's going to be hot.