REW

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Rick C, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Just spent several hours using a recently purchased Umik-1, mini dsp and REW with a MAC computer. Kind of fun playing with the semi auto EQ between the Minidsp and REW. It was also interesting to see exactly what the various calibration curves (flat and natural) from Yamaha YPAO were doing.

I liked the ability to work with my two subs delays individually. I was also able to make a separate EQ curve, delay and crossovers for the bass shakers.

My ears say it sounds good with the changes but it could be a result of my invested time and money. :)

One plus is it was a good opportunity to exercise my brain learning the software and getting the setup in place. I had used REW many years ago with the rat shack meter and the loop back calibration approach. It was much easier this time with the calibrated UMik-1 and an HDMI cable from the MAC to the receiver.

DYohn likes this.
  2. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

Been a very long time since I did this, but yeah, REW has gotten a lot easier to use. I have a BFD (forget the model number), and REW knows about that so it outputs the parametric EQ settings for that unit and I then just punch them in. I think there's some way to directly control it like you described, but I never tried that.

Here's one idea you can try if you want to do it more manually. I used to let REW suggest the filters, then apply the biggest / most obvious one, then re-run it and let it suggest filters, apply the biggest remaining one, etc. After a few of those you should have addressed the worst room modes (my sub is corner loaded so I can use the EQ for this), and then it gets easier to apply a broad filter to set up a curve to your taste.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to redoing this in my new room. Saurav hooked me up with his REW knowledge--and some loaner equipment--in my old room and it was a huge improvement. Been a couple years with suboptimal setup, I am ready to refine again. Enjoy your new setup.

4. Saurav

Saurav Well-Known Member

I had completely forgotten about that :)

5. Rick C

Rick C Active Member

Saurev thanks for the tip!

It worked out that I only needed to filters in the Bass range from 15 hz to 160 hz trying to match a house curve I set as a target. (6 db boost at 20 hz down to flat at 120) The minidsp on my set up only controls the subwoofers and bass shakers.

I manually added two more filters, suggested by REW, between 160 hz and 20,000 hz using my Yamaha receiver Parametric EQ in the manual mode which lets you set the frequency, level and Q. I can easily place the receiver in the EQ "through" mode to defeat the higher range filters.

All filters were cuts even though I allowed in the settings up to a 3 db boost.

For the bass shakers I placed the Umik on the couch with a few pillows over it. Turned off the subs and ran an sweep and EQ and used a technique similar to what you suggested taking the biggest filter and then re running. I added a bit more boost in the 20 hz to 45 Hz range based upon my "Butt meter" and tweaked the delay with the two subs running.