RMAF report from Audiophile Review

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by DYohn, Oct 18, 2018.

1. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

2. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Vinyl is pure nostalgia period. Same way folks like to take carriage rides through Central Park at NYC.

Unfortunately IMO true audiophile hobby is close to its end. Young folks listen to music with ear buds no matter how good the technology ear buds cannot reproduce true full spectrum audio. Hip hop and rap will sound just as good on an old style gramophone as it would through ear buds from a phone.

DYohn likes this.
  3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Interesting article. A lot of symptoms there speaking to why I don't consider myself an audiophile although surely my equipment and room are better than 95% of the population.

DYohn likes this.
  4. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

I can't disagree with anything. His comments also include "Hopefully, the new venue will offer a big improvement. " Went to the show in 2017 and have been to other audio shows and quite frankly I think he was being kind. Horribly run (supposed to be the Denver 'Tech' Center and they may as well call it the 'no tech' center - last year besides the fact they screwed up and overbooked and moved people to other hotels with no rhyme or reason and made the logistics bad their network was not working for the vendors at least to start with and many had no alternative music playback options - so that's why there was probably lots of vinyl) and not a good venue at all. I rode the van in with one of the vendors I know and he told me it was his last RMAF. Won't waste my time going back until they have a new venue and some reports come back that it is better (which isn't hard as 2017 was horrible - really hard to evaluate things when you bring a CD and a thumb drive and can't hear music on either and talking to the people who were running the show was a waste of time - they need to either fix it or give it up).

Was going to go to AXPONA next year but with the Florida Audio Expo announced a couple of months before it, that's what I'm attending next year (February) as it is not too far a ride (I'll stay over as it is too far to commute back and forth). I'd go back to the Capital Audiofest (been to many of those) or another show before I'd waste another shot at the RMAF.

DYohn likes this.
  5. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

Vinyl is a touchy thing. I think I am a bit too young to understand it, I just plain don't get it. I have a family member that I have visited that only listens to vinyl. It sounded like poo to me. If there is money to be made in the vinyl world great make money, and it you want to listen to vinyl that is cool too. I just don't see how anyone can think that it is the best sounding format. The numbers and my ears tell me otherwise.

My son is 10, my wife has never had any interested in mid to higher end gear, although I have owned some decent stuff over the years. They both commented on the sound of the KEFs and seem to enjoy them. So they seem to hear the difference between them and our junky small Bluetooth speakers. Which is a good thing, but I don't think either of them will ever see value in high end audio. They enjoy music, they don't enjoy gear. It doesn't have to be the best sound possible for them, it just doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    DYohn likes this.
  6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I played with vinyl and ended up in the anti camp. Its just a dirty, noisy, PITA with inferior sound quality.

DYohn likes this.
  7. pillatier

Agreed. But vinyl is pure nostalgia for us who grew up on those and AM and short wave radios. My uncle had a hand wound gramophone with a huge horn (looked like the HMV logo) that played the fragile 78s. I remember listening to Paul Robeson and really scratchy Caruso on it.

8. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I've been playing with vinyl for the last couple of years and I listen to more music now on my vinyl rig than I did any music in the years prior. Sound quality, convenience, etc, doesn't really matter, I just seem to enjoy it more.

9. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

When all the stars are aligned. When you connected the dots well. When you have sourced good Lps. It’s damn good. Maybe it’s expectation bias. Add into this tubes. And the music is very, very good.

10. Carl V

On the flip side. Do all the same due diligence for digital or streaming, it’s also damn good. Easier. More convenient. But and there’s always a bigg butt. You need good source material & DAC, reclocking, . Etc. Etc. Etc.

11. Carl V

JUST spent time in Napa/Sonoma. Wine. Prime example of expectation biases. Your surroundings, your knowledge. Your recent past experiences. Your palate that day. They all conspire against you or for you. Hard to say. You try to be objective. You know you are not an expert so subjectively you want to learn and grow.

12. Carl V

At he end of the day or afternoon or visit. We’re you happy. Pleased. Satiated. Entertained. Educated. Enlightened.

13. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

In my experience (and I once owned over 50,000 LPs and some very high end vinyl playback gear) vinyl sucks. it has always sucked. It is noisy and difficult. Digital exceeds it in every way... except for the tactile experience and the feeling of nostalgia. To each his own.

Jack Keck likes this.
  14. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I obsess over my digital library and playback pathway just as pathetically as I did for my "late" vinyl collection. Maybe even more so. Proper tagging is a must, especially to open all of the potential for scraping the wealth of added data on the interwebs.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  15. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I have vinyl because I've always had vinyl. Not adding to collection, but still playing what I have.

16. pillatier

I think it is the very act of doing things before it starts playing that's enjoyable. I find the same with playing the mix tape cassettes I made in the 1980s. Sometimes I am surprised by my choice of the sequence of the pieces and artists on the tape.

17. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Mechanical devices will always be cool. Seeing stuff move is cool.

18. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Good read and on target for the vinyl/digital argument. That said I still have my TT and occasionally breakout a record to play just for a bit of time traveling but, I do digital almost exclusively now. So much easier to cary several hundred songs in your pocket with digital!

19. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I prefer CDs to anything. I have never bothered to learn about streamig. However, my turntable isn't going anywhere. I can count the numbers of LPs I have without taking off my shoes. Those records are AFIK not available in any other format or the CDs are way out of my price range. When I buy an LP, I rip it to my computer and phone. Then again, I'm such a backslider that I now enjoy my digital files on bluetooth speakers and sound bars.

20. pillatier

Ripped LPs will likely sound no worse over regular bluetooth speakers and soundbars.