RMAF report from Audiophile Review

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by DYohn, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Ouch!

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I remember when I got my fist CD's and my first player. All right, here we go with the perfect sound of digital.

Except it wasn't. Of course there were no clicks and pops, but it just sounded "harsh" as in not smooth as in ear fatigue. I bought a better CD player but that didn't help either. I had to go all the way to a $1000 Jolida to get what a $200 turntable did. And even that isn't as good as a really nice DAC.

So I agree (kinda) CD does sound better, but be prepared to spend 2 grand instead of 2 hundred.

3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

One can get a program like dbPoweramp to rip CDs and a mini Windows 10 PC for under $200 and a program like JRiver and blow the socks off an expensive CD player with a decent DAC. Helping a couple of friends right now with computer audio (both have decent DACs already). I'm not a big fan of expensive disc spinners. The CD drives are only supported for so long (e.g. 7 years) and once they go a manufacturer is not going to write new software for a new drive on an expensive CD player vs. have a new model out. So one ends up with an expensive door stop.

I had a CD player with first week they were out. Yes it was clean but very mechanical sounding.

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

The early days of "digital harshness" from CDs is long gone.

5. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Based on what I understand from reading various sources- early CDs in early-mid 1980's used tapes mastered for LP pressings. The master tapes had - 1) RIAA equalization built-in the engineers failed to recognize that for early CD pressings; 2) The recording engineers had equalized the recording to sound the best on LPs. Between the two equalizations the early CDs sounded harsh or as it was described then as "digital". Removing the RIAA correction made the CDs sound better, but not until those early recordings were (digitally) remastered to correct for the original LP biased equalization did those original recordings sound better.

6. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Definitely - still an art to mixing and mastering though. My main system DAC upsamples everything to 8x DSD. When there is a good recording from a CD quality file (I basically only play discs if someone comes over with them - anything I buy on CD goes straight to a file). Of course upsampling crap still sounds like crap.

7. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I don't agree. I've got some really old CD's that sound good on new expensive stuff but didn't on old cheap electronics.

8. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Newer DAC’s. Better DACs. And of course there are many different filters. Mike Knapp has a nice player by CARY with four different styles. Many others out there likewise offer choices.
    Ultimately it comes down to preferences.
    Oaked Chardonnay. Or stainless steel. Or cement.

The euphoric comes to mind. Pleasing to the ear.

9. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

OK, thousand points for whomever makes this their new sig. With the correct attribution of course.

10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Agreed, I (and who didn't) own an LP of Frampton Comes Alive. I bought a first gen. cd to "upgrade". Vinyl album sounded much better.

11. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

Agreed, but in my case it was Kansas' live double album, Two For The Show. IMO still the best rock live recording of all time.
    The original CD release was awful and at first I thought my CD player was damaged. This was the early days of CDs and there were quite a few badly mastered re-releases.

That album and several others actually got me back into vinyl for a while. It wasn't until 2008, when the properly re-mastered version came out, that I finally gave up completely on vinyl. Eventually, my turntable, some albums and a lot of accessories went to Artie and several people still here bought most of what was left of my vinyl collection.

The only vinyl LP I still have is a Gus Dudgeon re-mastered copy of Elton John's Madman Across The Water. I plan to have it framed and it will hang in my den, now that I have one.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    DYohn likes this.
  12. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Live rock albums—- Rawk ( as Denton would say):sunglasses:

WHO live at Leeds.
    Allman brothers at filmore east.